ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » Free visual tool to map your MQ network? Help us improve it.

Free visual tool to map your MQ network? Help us improve it. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You spent a lot of time rewriting functions that already exist in MQExplorer, rather than writing a plugin that provides additional features on top of MQExplorer.

You spent a lot of time writing yet another MQ administration tool that makes no provisions at all for dealing with security of any kind.

And by writing all of the framing infrastructure and GUI yourself, you've made it so that any and all security models or infrastructure have to actually be written by you. Again, if you'd written an MQExplorer plugin, you wouldn't have to bother with security, and you could also assert that it was *handled correctly*.

You haven't even provided any means to connect to a queue manager using an SSL enabled channel.

And, no, I do not choose to assist your project by writing this code for you. I can already to everything your code does - except perhaps for the mapping view - using MQExplorer functions and MQExplorer supportPacs.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I think the raison d'etre is the network view. I am not aware of any MQ explorer plugin that does anything like like this. The style of the display is certainly unique in the MQ world.

MO71 does some of the network view and it does have some discovery of new queue managers in the latest version (only when channels to them are active though).

I can't see how to display client connections though - that would be useful (I think it was mentioned as being possible).
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

zpat wrote:
I think the raison d'etre is the network view. I am not aware of any MQ explorer plugin that does anything like like this. The style of the display is certainly unique in the MQ world.

I've seen commercial tools that allow for network diagramming of WebSphere MQ.

And, again, I agree that the network diagramming piece is useful and nifty.

I don't see any reason to build the rest of the stuff and package the network diagramming piece in this manner. It's a lot more work than would be needed otherwise by reusing a tool that most MQ administrators already have installed!

And you wouldn't have to worry about infringing on IBM license terms by redistributing the MQ library JAR files.
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

I believe the author works for IBM.

Maybe he will submit this as a support pac when it's finished?
goodwill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: functional replication. Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks for your replies.
I will admit there is a lot of functional replication here. When I wrote it as a uni project in 2006 there was lot of functionality missing from the MQ explorer. Auto mapping was kinda cool back then.
As to the security model, one of the reasons I wrote it was to probe security holes in common administration practice. I had no interest in the tool conforming to a security model. Still don't. It is pretty trivial to update the connection model, I just pass a hash to the connection class. Maybe I should go raw, and open a hash of the MQC options to the user - that'd be interesting.
I have opened it up primarily because I have a couple of friends who use it, but don't have the time or inclination to support it indefinitely for 2 or 3 users. I wondered if there were more out there who cold find a use for it, or might be interested in turning it into something quite different for that matter. Like an 0MQ explorer?
I have taken your comments on board.
goodwill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

zpat, you can override connection params for individual QMs.

Select an individual QM and scroll in the properties pane for the connection params - will be at the top if not mapped, and at the bottom if it it has successfully pulled QM properties.

The params inherit defaults, but whatever you alter will be saved to the network config file.
zpat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

OK, if you want me to keep suggesting refinements, can I contact you offline?

I think it's a very neat graphical tool - yes it would be better as a plug-in, but it's still of value, and if you are donating it to the community then it's a very worthwhile thing to have done, thanks.

How does one display the client connections from queue managers (or does it not do that?)?
goodwill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Client conn channels should show up in the explorer view on the left.
Under the Chl filter on the map view there is a 'Conn' checkbox... that will show client conn channels and their current status in the map window.
goodwill
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I am happy to discuss bugs/features here where others can comment, but if you prefer a private word, feel free to email me at mqsysadmin@gmail.com.

Any and all feedback is welcome.
goodwill
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Moving forward Reply with quote

Apprentice

There seems to be sufficient interest about to move on this.

I am interested in any ideas about future focus that would make the tool a real asset at your site. What would you like to see? Web based monitoring? auditing and reports? More powerful admin tools? Dataflow mapping? Message tracking and options?

Let me know at mqsysadmin@gmail.com
I will post a link to the user guide when complete.

Feel free to raise bugs and issues at https://github.com/tgqc/QView
goodwill
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Significantly updated, QView 0.6 is available for download. Reply with quote

Apprentice

https://github.com/tgqc/QView/downloads

QView 0.6 is available for download.

Thanks for your feedack. QView explorer has been significantly updated.

Explore a more accurate map of your MQ network, with more intuitive controls and a REPORTS menu that will produce csv reports on your MQ environment.

Keep the feedback coming! What further functionality, filters and reports would you like to see?

email: mqsysadmin@gmail.com
download: https://github.com/tgqc/QView/downloads
goodwill
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: An alternative downlod site Reply with quote

Apprentice

An alternative downlod site:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/keepthing-misc/large-files/qview_v0.6.0_installer.exe
zpat
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Does it support the use of the CCDT?

In other words, can I just add the QM name and let it pick up the connection details from the CCDT?

It's a bit tiresome to have to manually enter the connection details.

Also the new install seems to be wiped out my previous configuration - could there be an option to retain the old config?

In the properties of the QM - can you please move the port field to be adjacent to the hostname field?
goodwill
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: CCDT Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi zpat.

I have slated CCDT in for the next release. At this point, I was keen to make available the corrected map view and simplified menu - there were a lot of people getting lost in the mess of options in the previous version.

The config is simply a file in the /config folder. I am working on an .msi installer that will take care of retaining the previous config. Should be in the next rollout.

The hostname/port point is a good one. I plan to roll up the connection properties into a separate properties category - and I will work on ordering it sensibly, instead of alphabetically.

As always, I appreciate your feedback.

Tim.
markt
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

You appear to STILL be breaking the distribution license for the MQ client code. REMOVE IT IMMEDIATELY.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » News/Updates » Free visual tool to map your MQ network? Help us improve it.
Jump to: