ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Subflows Vs Individual Mainflows (hops)

Subflows Vs Individual Mainflows (hops) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
deepnair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Subflows Vs Individual Mainflows (hops) Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,
I have a design question as below

Lets say there are Four functions A, B, C, D which needs to be implemented in sequential order i.e. A first then B, then C and then D. To implement this I see 2 ways

Approach 1
Write four different flows and connect them as F1 --- > F2 --- > F3 --- > F4 thus a total of 3 MQ hops to achieve it

Approach 2
Write one main flow and have A, B, C, D as subflows i.e. 4 subflows thus no MQ hops

Which of these two will give me better TPS (transactions per second) ??

The first one has more hops but I think its good because it doesnt make my EG thread hungry by holding any single thread longer as each F1, F2 , F3, F4 will have their own instances.

In the second apprach, there are no MQ hops but it will hold the thread for a longer time i.e. till A, B, C, D functions are all complete.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Deep Nair
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Best TPS is Approach 2. Adding MQ to the latency increases your latency around 13 msec per queue (you suggest 3 queues, total increase would be 39 msecs).
paintpot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Transactionality? Is it valid to complete in multiple units of work?

Time to complete each 'chunk'. If any of the parts take a long time to complete, you will hold less resources / have better throughput if you split it up with MQ. You can then balance the work / latency by having multiple copies at the right point.

Partial reuse? Will other applications want to make use of the 'bits' you suggest in diffferent ways?

As usual - it depends...
deepnair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Quote:
Best TPS is Approach 2.

So you are suggesting MQ latency is worse than thread latency ?

If I have 20 transactions hitting a second, and my # of instances of the flow is defined as 10, then the next 10 will wait for threads to be available.
deepnair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Quote:
If any of the parts take a long time to complete, you will hold less resources / have better throughput if you split it up with MQ

This is what I think is better approach i.e. approach 1...
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

deepnair wrote:
Quote:
Best TPS is Approach 2.

So you are suggesting MQ latency is worse than thread latency ?

If I have 20 transactions hitting a second, and my # of instances of the flow is defined as 10, then the next 10 will wait for threads to be available.

I told the doctor, it hurts when I do that. He said, well don't do that.

If you expect 20 concurrent transactions, you should load 19 additional instances. This is not rocket science. Loading 9 additional instances when you expect 20 is not smart.

YMMV - Your mileage may vary. Try it both ways and see.
paintpot
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

[quote="lancelotlinc"]
deepnair wrote:
Quote:
Best TPS is Approach 2.

YMMV - Your mileage may vary. Try it both ways and see.

Yep, absolutely. And don't forget the answer may change depending on what else you use this box for / how you have it configured / how you tune it
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

paintpot wrote:
Transactionality? Is it valid to complete in multiple units of work?

Time to complete each 'chunk'. If any of the parts take a long time to complete, you will hold less resources / have better throughput if you split it up with MQ. You can then balance the work / latency by having multiple copies at the right point.

Partial reuse? Will other applications want to make use of the 'bits' you suggest in diffferent ways?

As usual - it depends...

What happens to a given transaction if C fails? Do you continue with D? Do you need to reverse (backout) A & B?

Questions, questions...
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Another consideration is rate of change.

If function C is undergoing heavy development and will be expected to change on a frequent basis over the next several months, you may wish to isolate that function to it's own flow to minimize the amount of regression testing you need to do, and to minimize the change management in general.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

lancelotlinc wrote:
Adding MQ to the latency ncreases your latency around 13 msec per queue (you suggest 3 queues, total increase would be 39 msecs).

YMMV. Using message persistence on a poorly tuned queue manager could be higher than this, non-persistent messages may go significantly faster.
deepnair
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

ok, so it seems the answer will be it depends

A general conclusion may be

Individual flows approach
-- Good when non-persistant queues are being used (hops relatively consume less time)
-- Good when rate of change is high (regression eases)
-- Good if the functions are heavy or time consuming (thus the thread latency will be minimum)
-- Good if all these functions are for a framework flow, as the overall load on framework can vary, thus the overall allocated threads can balance the tps needs

Subflow approach
-- Good for better performance (subflows bound statically, no hops)
-- If the functions are simple, subflows dont take too much time in processing and they dont hold the thread for a long time
-- MQ latency can be avoided.

Also exception handling will not be a challenge in either of these approaches as it can be defined as a separate flow and deployed in a different EG altogether thus decoupling the exceptions from the main logic.

Thanks,
Deep Nair
inMo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Quote:

Subflow approach
-- Good for better performance (subflows bound statically, no hops)

Well, no, not always. It depends. In example, if the subflows are all resource hogs, linking them up to be a resource monster may actually slow things down. Adding additional instances to the single flow to further input will open a number of threads all competing for the resources.

In contrast, accepting the rather miniscule MQ latency in exchange for 'options' may actually increase performance. Perhaps Flow B is such a hog that you will be better served by isolating it in a dedicated EG.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Subflows Vs Individual Mainflows (hops)
Jump to: