ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » File transfer from Mainframe to a MQ Queue

File transfer from Mainframe to a MQ Queue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
aniMQI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: File transfer from Mainframe to a MQ Queue Reply with quote

I did already see a related post about file transfer but i wanted to clarify my specific questions. I am brand new to the MQ world and i appreciate any help i can get.

In the current way of processing ,there is a UNIX script that pulls mainframe PDS members in as a .txt file and then re-names it to a .dat file. The script then calls a C program to place the .dat file into the client's MQ queue as a .dat file. The file stays as is , it does not explode into individual messages.

They're now looking to get rid of the UNIX part and see if the mainframe file can be transferred directly from the mainframe to the Client's MQ Queue. The destination file format will need to be .dat in keeping with current processing.

I've searched the internet and the forums and learned about the MQFTE , however MQFTE will need to be on both ends for it to work. We have no control over the client side's software. Correct me here if i've got that wrong.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Does the mainframe have MQ installed? What platform is the client using?
aniMQI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , MQ is installed on the mainframe which is at our end. I am not aware of the Client's platform though.
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

So you just want to read PDS members into a MQ message. This can be coded in any MQI language that runs on z/OS.

Personally I would be tempted to code it in Rexx using the support pac that allows Rexx to call MQI.
aniMQI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My requirement is not to read them into a MQ Queue as individual messages which is what the MQPUT command does.

I will need to send the Mainframe PDS member as a .dat file to the Clients MQ Queue.The client picks up the .dat file and deals with it.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I believe that MQFTE supports File->Queue patterns in current releases.

You should be aware that there's no such thing as a ".dat" format, particularly since your current solution merely renames it from .txt.

Your current process may end up doing EBCDIC->ASCII conversion for you. This should rightly be being done at the client side when they read the message using MQGET.
zpat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

aniMQI wrote:
My requirement is not to read them into a MQ Queue as individual messages which is what the MQPUT command does.

I will need to send the Mainframe PDS member as a .dat file to the Clients MQ Queue.The client picks up the .dat file and deals with it.

I think you need to understand how MQ works, unless you are talkng about "reference" messages.

Again - are you trying to convert PDS members to messages (one PDS member per message)?

What program extracts the message to a file on the client? - such function is not part of MQ (again unless you mean reference messages which are rarely used or even understood).

If you are looking for a simple answer - think again - this is easy for an experienced MQ person to do - but it is not reducible to a few lines of advice in a post.
aniMQI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i mentioned earlier , in the current process a UNIX script FTP's the PDS members from the mainframe as .txt files and then re-names to .dat file.

The UNIX script then calls a C program that then places the .dat file on the client's MQ queue. The .dat is placed as a file on the client's queue , not as individual messages.

We're trying to eliminate the UNIX part to see if this can be done straightaway from the Mainfame.
fschofer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Hi,

look here for a similar discussion
http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=55489

Regards
Frank
aniMQI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank , I'll take a look at it.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » File transfer from Mainframe to a MQ Queue
Jump to: