ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Do MQ server side need to install the CA cert chain?

Do MQ server side need to install the CA cert chain? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
flytang1
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Do MQ server side need to install the CA cert chain? Reply with quote

Dear all,

these days i was asked a question from client about the SSL. There is MQ server currently, and the client want to connect to MQ server via MQ client application under SSL. I checked a lots of doc and still get some confuse:

My question is:

MQ client need to install the "CA cert chain" in the signer tab, MQ server need to install "CA cert" in personal cert chain, but, do MQ server required to install the "CA cert chain"?

many thanks for your reply!
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

It's no different than if it was queue-manager-to-queue-manager, except that the key store type may differ for the client may differ depending on the client type, e.g. a java-based client would use a key store of type jks.

The queue manager key store will require a copy of the CA certificate used to sign the client 'personal' certificate, and the client key store will require a copy of the CA certificate used to sign the queue manager 'personal' certificate. If there are multiple CA certificates, i.e. a certificate chain, then all certificates in that chain must be present within a key store.
flytang1
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks exerk, sorry i have been in vocation last week so i didn't see your reply. For my case it is only one-way authentication, which is, the Server side don't require to verify the certificate of the client. In this case, I just need to install the CA chain of the server side to client key database, and install the certificate in server side as personal certificate(not require the CA chain which sign the certificate), am i right?
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

flytang1 wrote:
...For my case it is only one-way authentication, which is, the Server side don't require to verify the certificate of the client...

So why bother with SSL? Allowing 'anonymous' connections is never a good thing.

flytang1 wrote:
...In this case, I just need to install the CA chain of the server side to client key database...

Correct.

flytang1 wrote:
...and install the certificate in server side as personal certificate(not require the CA chain which sign the certificate), am i right?

Incorrect. You need the full chain. Try receiving the CA-signed certificate into the queue manager key store without the required CA certificates and see what the result is.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

exerk wrote:
flytang1 wrote:
...For my case it is only one-way authentication, which is, the Server side don't require to verify the certificate of the client...

So why bother with SSL? Allowing 'anonymous' connections is never a good thing.

With one way SSL you still get:
The client knows they are connecting to the correct server.
The communication is encrypted.
exerk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

PeterPotkay wrote:
...The client knows they are connecting to the correct server...

But is it the correct client?
Vitor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

exerk wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

It's valid for some business cases for a client to know you're transmitting to an authoritative source, and for those transmissions to be encrypted.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Vitor wrote:
exerk wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

It's valid for some business cases for a client to know you're transmitting to an authoritative source, and for those transmissions to be encrypted.

Not to forget that the client still needs the trustore with the cert chain of the server
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
Not to forget that the client still needs the trustore with the cert chain of the server

True. At least GSKit8 doesn't auto-populate anymore...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

exerk wrote:
PeterPotkay wrote:

Understood.
But not relevant in some cases.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Do MQ server side need to install the CA cert chain?
Jump to: