ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Client/Remote runmqdlq (to z/OS)

Client/Remote runmqdlq (to z/OS) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Client/Remote runmqdlq (to z/OS) Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

schmun wrote:
I need a solution to work on the DLQ of a z/OS QMgr via a unix system.

Of course another solution is to make the z/OS queue manager's dead letter queue a remote queue that points at the unix queue manager. I'm assuming the existence of a Unix queue manager. This queue either be the local queue manager's dlq or not; I'd be inclined to say not. Queues are cheap.

It's a philosophical question if this is better or worse than a client dead letter handler. I don't think I'd do it, but then I'd use the z/OS dead letter handler.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I doubt that the z/OS WMQ folks (and developers) will knowingly and cheerfully allow dead-letter messages (or any other valuable business messages) to leave the z/OS platform - for platforms with far less security.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
I doubt that the z/OS WMQ folks (and developers) will knowingly and cheerfully allow dead-letter messages (or any other valuable business messages) to leave the z/OS platform - for platforms with far less security.

People do put valuable business messages on other platforms sometimes.

z/OS folks are never cheerful. Though that could be just me.

As I said, it's not my preferred solution. But given that this site is happy to have z/OS DLQ messages processed on Unix, it's not that much of a stretch to move them closer to the Unix app processing them so it's a viable option & I thought I'd mention it.
schmun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Sorry. The discussion is far away from my question.

I thought that infos are unnecessary for my request:
We use zOS QMgr more the ten years with a few 100 client conns per qmgr. I administrate them over 6 years. Not every one who have to adminstrate the zOS qmgrs have the rights (not only RACF reasons) or the ability to do it via 3270.

@Vitor
Thank you. But than i am not able to use the dlqmon local on z/OS. (And I would have to define remote queues back to the z/OS for retry.)
mqjeff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

schmun wrote:
Sorry. The discussion is far away from my question

bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

People do put valuable business messages on other platforms sometimes.

z/OS folks are never cheerful. Though that could be just me.

As I said, it's not my preferred solution. But given that this site is happy to have z/OS DLQ messages processed on Unix, it's not that much of a stretch to move them closer to the Unix app processing them so it's a viable option & I thought I'd mention it.

I was not arguing the technical feasibility of moving dlq messages off z/OS WMQ. And I was not suggesting that only lesser-value messages belong on midrange platforms.

Rather, I was suggesting that this technical solution might not be the appropriate business solution. I am strongly suggesting that the developers (analysts, auditors, management) need to be part of the decision-making process. If they concur, then they can press the (grumpy) z/OS folks get get involved.

I intended and intend no offense.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

schmun wrote:
Sorry. The discussion is far away from my question.

I thought that infos are unnecessary for my request:

Your request that we only provide a direct and specific answer to your question is appreciated.

However, the side- or related-discussion items may be of value to others reading the post and replies.

It has been my experience that technical folks envision technical solutions, often to the exclusion of related business issues that have proven to be of greater importance.

One of my clients (a financial institution) was shocked and amazed to discover admins had changed the overall application design (as your OP implied) - such that it failed internal and external audit.

I can imagine one of your managers asking "what do you mean you moved our $1B financial transaction messages (off the dlq) out of the z/OS security domain?!"

I interpreted your focus solely on the technical solution to mean "I don't care about the business implications of what I'm doing."
schmun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Sorry. If I asked about a tech. solution, i expect a tech. answer - direct or workarounds following to the initial situation (here access from "outside" to z/OS).
all other posts that havent a direct relation to my questions deflect from a solution and maybe prevent it because an other reader (with a potential solution) has no desire to read all posts...

post++
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The tech solution you want is not necessarily the tech solution you need...
schmun
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

exerk wrote:
The tech solution you want is not necessarily the tech solution you need...

>direct or workarounds following to the initial situation
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

schmun wrote:
Sorry. If I asked about a tech. solution, i expect a tech. answer - direct or workarounds following to the initial situation (here access from "outside" to z/OS).
all other posts that havent a direct relation to my questions deflect from a solution and maybe prevent it because an other reader (with a potential solution) has no desire to read all posts...

post++

Without apology, change your expectations.

You came to us. We are a free-ware post site. We are volunteers. We are professionals with gobs of experience doing technical work in a business environment.

There are many ways to accomplish a given task - as you have discovered from reading our replies.

Many of us make our meager livings from consulting. There are technical and business impacts on any technical solution. This is why we ask for clarification from you. This is why we offer alternatives.

If you don't value our gobs of experience, or can't tolerate what you perceive as extraneous information, please feel free to go elsewhere.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Client/Remote runmqdlq (to z/OS)
Jump to: