ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs?

Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Voyager

we have one user(App/Client) from QA connecting to prod to grab messages from one of the queues , how can we recitify this Please help.

Thanks,
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Mitra wrote:
we have one user(App/Client) from QA connecting to prod to grab messages from one of the queues , how can we recitify this

Change the client's configuration so it points to the QA queue manager rather than the prod one? Just a guess?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Mitra wrote:
we have one user(App/Client) from QA connecting to prod to grab messages from one of the queues , how can we recitify this Please help.

Thanks,

1. Block the channel;
2. Use SSL and filter on SSLPEER;
3. Change the client application's connection details;
4. Block the IP address from which the client originates.

Take your pick. This is what you get when you don't secure your channels.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Grand Master

exerk wrote:
1. Block the channel;

Take your pick.

I'd do all four.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

5. Shoot the user.
6. anyone?
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

bruce2359 wrote:
5. Shoot the user.

Slightly unfair. They may not realise to what they're connecting to, so maybe more appropriate to shoot whomsoever set it up?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

OK:
5. Shoot the user
6. Shoot whoever set it up
Mitra
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Voyager

exerk wrote:
Mitra wrote:

Thanks,

1. Block the channel;

Take your pick. This is what you get when you don't secure your channels.

we have the same Client/App connecting to both the envi(QA and Prod) with same ID and Pwd and using the System.def.svrconn channel.
The client don't want to change their connection details in this case
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Mitra wrote:
we have the same Client/App connecting to both the envi(QA and Prod) with same ID and Pwd and using the System.def.svrconn channel.

Then you're a bit stuck I think. If they don't want to change their connection details (which includes the IP address & port number) it's very hard to change where they're connecting to.

Add

7 ) Shoot whoever decided it was ok for an application to use SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN
8 ) Shoot whovever decided it was ok to use the same user id & password in both production & non-production environments (there's secure look you)
exerk
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Mitra wrote:
...we have the same Client/App connecting to both the envi(QA and Prod) with same ID and Pwd and using the System.def.svrconn channel...

Don't EVER use the SYSTEM.DEF.SVRCONN for applications to connect! Give each application its own channel and lock down that channel with an MCAUSER that has only the authorities required for the application to achieve its purpose. Further lock down that channel with SSL.

Mitra wrote:

Tough on them. If you are responsible for the care and maintenance of the infrastructure, you tell them it's damn well going to be changed and their wants have no influence, bearing, or weight in the statement that it's going to be changed - note I said statement, not discussion.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Inform them of the changes that are going to take place. If they do not want to submit, they won't be able to connect at all anymore past the date the changes will be implemented. Their choice. If they are unhappy direct them gently to the PCI officer.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Security » Client for QA connecting to Prod and grabbing the msgs?
Jump to: