ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Messages missing in MQ cluster

Messages missing in MQ cluster « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
donthomas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Messages missing in MQ cluster Reply with quote

Novice

I have a 3 queue manager cluster with one of the queue managers acting
as a gateway for queue managers outside of the cluster. I have two
occurences of a cluster queue, one on each of the non-gateway queue
managers. The cluster queue definitions are set to defbind - Not Fixed.
On the gateway queue manager I have a queue manager alias that resolves to null, i.e. both RNAME and RMNAME are blank. On the queue managers outside the cluster I have defined a remote queue definition using the queue manager alias that is defined on the gateway as the RQMNAME and the cluster queue as the RNAME and I have traditional distributed channels (SDR/RCVR) defined to carry messages to the gateway. When I put a message on the remote queue that is outside the cluster the gateway queue manager resolves the destination queue correctly as being an instance of the clustered queue and the workload exit alternately routes the messages from one to the other instance. However, when I stop one of the queue managers which owns an instance of the clustered queue, the next message that arrives on the gateway queue manager disappears. When a second message is sent it shows up on the remaining instance of the clustered queue. The first message that I try to send does not show up on the cluster xmitq, or the dead letter queue of either the sending queue manager, the gateway queue manager, or the active queue manager that owns the instance of the clustered queue. I have a full repository on the gateway queue manger and on one of the other queue managers with the third holding a partial. It doesn't matter which queue manager holding an instance of the cluster queue I stop, the result is the same. The first inbound message disappears and the subsequent messages arrive at the active instance. Any ideas as to what I need to do to ensure that I do not lose any messages?
oz1ccg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi don T,

The messages you're sending into the cluster are not PERSISTENT (I guess). Try with PERSISTENT ones, and let us know.

MQ is allowed to drop Non-persistent messages (your application should be able to handle a message drop), This is my personal translations of the manuals.

Just my $0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
donthomas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Jorgen,
I've verified that persistence is specified at every point, including on the message header and I'm still losing the first message. In fact the messages that are put to the cluster queue on the queue manager that I'm stopping survive the restart so that's pretty conclusive that I've covered that base.
I'm also unable to find any error messages relating to this on either the ermote queue manager, the gateway queue manager, or the destination queue manager. I would think that MQ would make a note somewhere if it couldn't determine where to put a persistent message, but the only errors I'm seeing relate to the channel abending when I stop the queue manager.
I'm stumped.
donthomas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Jorgen,
I spoke too soon. The problem seems to have been with the queue manager alias that I had built on the gateway queue manager. This queue remote definition was set to non-persistent. When I changed that the problem was resolved. It seems strange to me though that the persistence attribute would get overlaid at this intermediate step in the message route. Oh well, thanks for your response. It did eventually lead me to the problem.
oz1ccg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi Don T,

It's one of the reasons for why I did write some articles on clustering on my homepage:
http://d1o110.dk.telia.net/~u149101068/

Because after you have started your cluster the next issue comes up: security, how to keep your cluster safe, and only allow the good queue managers in the cluster. I personally think it's very vise to study the cluster manual carefully togther with the security manuals. I know that the security configuration using exits are left out in the examples, but this is done so anybody can implement the senarios.

Just my $0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Messages missing in MQ cluster
Jump to: