ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Recovery with circular logging

Recovery with circular logging « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
dgolding
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

..I love a good discussion to start the week with!

AFAIK, if a "malicious or clumsy user" does a CLEAR QLOCAL, you will never be able to recover from this using rcrmqobj. I've never tried it, but by deleting the file object and invoking recovery, it will replay the (perfectly valid) CLEAR QL command all over again

IMHO using LL for pure media recovery is an anachronism. Buy more and better disks, and mirror them instead.... and write some sort of application logging or audit trail (which linear logging does NOT give you) for application recovery purposes....
meekings
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Sorry guys - still not getting my basic question answered. I think I'm not expressing it well enough. I know that the best method is probably to use circular logging with queues (and logs) on mirrored disks, but suppose that isn't an option. Then, on my queues, I have sufficient persistent messages (all committed, but no apps up to read them) such that their data can't all be contained within the maximum configurable active linear log space. Then suppose the disk with my queues on goes belly up. I can re-build my queue manager from a script, but the queues will all be empty. Is it possible to recover ALL the messages from the logs, and if so, how?
And when the manual talks about recovering "objects", does it mean, for example, just a queue, or the queue + its contents (assume the system is currently up but inactive - no transactions in progress, no messages "in flight").
dgolding
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

AFAIK you should still be able to recover all zillion of your committed, persistent messages - as JHlastead pointed out, it's maximum 63 files that you spread your UNCOMMITTED messages over.

Recovering an object means queue + contents, as of the point before the crash.

Probably the simplest way of recovering all your queue objects is to copy the "queues" directory (for Open systems MQ managers), delete the contents and start up the queue manager. It should detect the errors in the objects and do recovery automatically.

Or you can recover all queues using the rebuild queue manager script as a template to do a "rcrmqobj" for each QLOCAL - should be really easy with a "grep" or two....

Obviously, you should fully test these scripts first

BUT, with LL, you need to do frequent (at least daily) housekeeping. There is a PERL script on the SupportPAC web page that will compress and finally delete unnecessary log files.
Troilus
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

dgolding is right in his last reply, but do keep in mind that at the time of recovery MQ (non-z/OS) expects all logfiles to be on the same folder, meaning on the same disk. That could become an issue.

I do not agree with dgolding in his previous contribution. MQ logs everything you need to do an application recovery. Only, it is difficult to read, but that is why we wrote an MQ log analyzer, one of it's functions is exactly application recovery. Think of the overhead of logging every update from your application, why do that when MQ already does it very efficiently.
dgolding
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

..My point was about the logging, that IBM do not supply a user-friendly version to look at the log. "dmpmqlog" is practically "user hostile" to use, and you have to shut down the queue manager in order to dump the logs, as far as I remember...

But that log formatter sounds interesting! Any chance it could be shared......
pgorak
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

One more post to this never ending subject...

I remember reading a document on recovery (one from IBM, devoted to UNIX systems) that said that before issuing rcdmqimg command, one must stop the channels first. I guess it's about uncommitted batches which may be not completed/confirmed by channel agents that they suggested this.

So my question is: does one risk any inconsistency when issuing rcdmqimg while there are messages coming in or out through channels?

Unfortunately, I can't give you the document title offhand, but if anyone needs it, I'll search for it.

Piotr
Troilus
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

imho: No.
Only advantage I see in stopping all channels AND all other applications neatly, is that less logs might be needed for recovery.
dgolding: sharing our log-analyzer? Sure. At the right price. It is a commercial project. In order to not cross the line on this forum between giving information and advertising I can only say: have a look at our website.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Recovery with circular logging
Jump to: