ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed

Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Penfold
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed Reply with quote

I am currently developing a .Net application and I want to be able to communicate with a MQ Server on a remote machine. However, I don’t want to have to install the MQ Client on the machine the application runs on so that the user doesn't have to do it on install.

I have been looking through the Redbook entitled "Using .NET" and it seems to elude to the fact that the .Net dll set will allow you to run a managed version of the client in the application (with a couple of limitations).

The Dll I am using is the "amqmdnet.dll" that was installed onto the MQ Server machine. Its version is 1.0.0.3 and the product version is 6.0.0 but I am unable to get access to some of the constants that the Redbook refers to. I also am unable to figure out how to set NMQ_MQ_LIB. Is it in MQEnvironment.properties hashtable?

When I attempt to connect in a way that I think may work, the call to create a new instance of MQManager throws an exception looking for the non-.Net dlls. This tells me that it’s not thinking it should be running in managed mode.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or have I misunderstood the capabilities of the classes?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Penfold
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Yes, you should be able to do this with the .NET environment, by carefully and fully following all the instructions in the InfoCenter/Using .NET manual.

But I don't have practical experience, so I can't offer anything more specific than that. And double-check your NMQ_MQ_LIB env variable (or whatever it is).
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Penfold wrote:
I also am unable to figure out how to set NMQ_MQ_LIB. Is it in MQEnvironment.properties hashtable?

It's most commonly an environment variable, though I seem to remember it can be set in an app server configuration file as well. At least I think I remember that...

You need, in addition, to set the hashtable up to indicate a managed connection IIRC. MQC_TRANSPORT_PROPERTY rings a bell.
Penfold
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed Reply with quote

Quote:
It's most commonly an environment variable, though I seem to remember it can be set in an app server configuration file as well. At least I think I remember that...

You need, in addition, to set the hashtable up to indicate a managed connection IIRC. MQC_TRANSPORT_PROPERTY rings a bell.

Yes, thats one of the things that I can't seem to get in the class so I think that I might have the wrong version of the dll or something!

I am trying to set MQC.TRANSPORT_PROPERTY to MQC.TRANSPORT_MQSERIES_MANAGED but the TRANSPORT_MQSERIES_MANAGED constant doesn't exist in the MQC class!

Do you know of any reason why this might have happened?
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Okay, so reviewing http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzav.doc/defconn.htm

MQC.TRANSPORT_PROPERTY is the best choice here, as it doesn't require the NMQ_MQ_LIB environment setting.

As for why the MQC.TRANSPORT_MQSERIES_MANAGED is not defined... it's only in later versions of v6 that a managed connection is even possible.

So on your development environment, you need to install the MQ client (at least) and FP that, and build/package against that. Then you can distribute your apps to machines without the Client installed.
Penfold
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefflowrey wrote:
Okay, so reviewing http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzav.doc/defconn.htm

MQC.TRANSPORT_PROPERTY is the best choice here, as it doesn't require the NMQ_MQ_LIB environment setting.

As for why the MQC.TRANSPORT_MQSERIES_MANAGED is not defined... it's only in later versions of v6 that a managed connection is even possible.

So on your development environment, you need to install the MQ client (at least) and FP that, and build/package against that. Then you can distribute your apps to machines without the Client installed.

I have been through that docuement but when I try to tell it that I want to run managed, it throws an exception about not being able to find a C dll.

Why do I have to install the MQ Client to be able to use MQ without the client? I am trying to get my head round what is required at the users end so I know what we have to install on delivery.

Thanks,

Penfold
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Again, I don't have practical experience with this. My sense is that you may have an older version of the dlls.

Also, this http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.mq.csqzav.doc/csqzav0545.htm

May have some helpful hints - but half of it doesn't make sense to me.
Penfold
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all you help guys.

Found that the issue that I was having was indeed a dll file version issue. I got them from the MQ Client rather than the MQ Server and now I can do managed connections without the MQ Client being installed!
darin.brown
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I'm having a similar issue when trying to use the IBM.XMS stuff. Our security folks aren't allowing us to install the MQClient on our front end sets so we're looking to go this route. We've got .NET 4, MQClient v7.0.1.3 and v2.0 of the IBM.XMS stuff installed in our development environment and things work great. I've tried deploying the application with the amqmdnet.dll included but it doesn't even get to the point where it tries to create a managed connection.

Code:

XMSFactoryFactory factoryFactory = XMSFactoryFactory.GetInstance(XMSC.CT_WMQ);
IConnectionFactory cf = factoryFactory.CreateConnectionFactory();

when it tries to do the CreateConnectionFactory() I get an error complaining about other missing DLLs:

Could not load assembly 'amqmdnsp'

If I subsequently install the MQC on this machine, everything works fine. However, we won't be able to do that in our production environment. Has anyone successfully had the IBM.XMS stuff to work without the MQC installed? Or might I need to not worry about the IBM.XMS stuff and stick with just the standard MQ?
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

IIRC the XMS package makes use of the non managed client. You should be able to get a managed connection with the right parms for the connection factory. However you'd need to check if the restrictions of the managed connection are compatible with the XMS package. So maybe no luck of just using the .net dll in your distribution...

Have fun

Last edited by fjb_saper on Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
Our security folks aren't allowing us to install the MQClient on our front end...

Do the security folks have a good business reason for this? Do they expect more security risk with WMQ client?
darin.brown
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

bruce2359 wrote:
Quote:
Our security folks aren't allowing us to install the MQClient on our front end...

Do the security folks have a good business reason for this? Do they expect more security risk with WMQ client?

there concern is the fact that the MQC install created a new group (mqm) in Windows which is against their policy. It seems silly but that's their policy and there's no getting around that (unless MQC can be installed without it creating a new group)
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

darin.brown wrote:
there concern is the fact that the MQC install created a new group (mqm) in Windows which is against their policy. It seems silly but that's their policy and there's no getting around that (unless MQC can be installed without it creating a new group)

The client doesn't make any changes to local security; it's the server install that creates the new group. If the client install did that, it's because it was installed off the server install media and the server install was not de-selected.

This can be prevented by downloading the client from the IBM site. This doesn't contain the server software so this error can't occur.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

You might want to send along a copy of the WMQ Clients manual to your security folks.

The WMQ Clients manual says:
Installing the WebSphere MQ client
To install a WebSphere MQ client, you must be logged on to Windows as an
administrator.

For AIX, Solaris,... root.
Vitor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:

The WMQ Clients manual says:
Installing the WebSphere MQ client
To install a WebSphere MQ client, you must be logged on to Windows as an
administrator.

For AIX, Solaris,... root.

This doesn't seem to be the key problem here.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ API Support » Connecting to an MQ Server without MQ Client installed
Jump to: