ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Message Broker v5 Performance Issue

Message Broker v5 Performance Issue « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Ravin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Message Broker v5 Performance Issue Reply with quote

Novice

Hi All,

We are using MB v5. We are having 56 message flows and 30 message sets all deployed under one broker in AIX box in production environment.
We recieve around 50,000 messages per day! Since we are using a very old version of broker, we get some errors every day like:
RM Dictionary Not Found,
TDS Writing Error,
CWF Parser Error

I believe the above errors come if the corresponding message set is not available. Though we have deployed all the relating artifacts into the broker, we still see this error!

Can somebody pls. tell me the exact reason why this error is occurring?

Also, we are planning to migrate from broker v5 to v7. Any inputs on this is highly appreciated. Like migration planinng, commands, pre-requisites etc...

Awaiting replies...

Thanks You!

-Ravindra
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Message Broker v5 Performance Issue Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Ravin wrote:
I believe the above errors come if the corresponding message set is not available.

No only the first one means that.

Ravin wrote:
Though we have deployed all the relating artifacts into the broker, we still see this error!

No you haven't. Or not to the correct place.

Ravin wrote:
Can somebody pls. tell me the exact reason why this error is occurring?

Your code is referencing a message set that doesn't exist. If all the correct message sets have been deployed, then the code is in error. Code error also explains the other 2 errors which result from the message tree not matching the physical format of the message set.

Ravin wrote:
Since we are using a very old version of broker, we get some errors every day

Trust me, bad code or missing message sets cause these errors in more modern versions of WMB as well.

Ravin wrote:
Also, we are planning to migrate from broker v5 to v7. Any inputs on this is highly appreciated. Like migration planinng, commands, pre-requisites etc...

There's a wealth of information in the WMBv7 InfoCenter in the section "Migrating from a previous version". Start there.
Ravin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks a lot Grand Poobah for your response!

Actually, i forgot to mention that after the error occurs - RM Dictionary Error, TDS Writing Error and CWF Errors, if we replay that failed message manually, then that message would be processed successfully!! This is what we have been doing ever since this issue has popped up.

I was thinking if this is a performance issue like, there are some 30 message sets and when messages arrive in bulk(50000) every message will use a different message set sometimes causing the message set to go out of memory stack and hence the RM Dictionary not found... not sure though!
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Ravin wrote:
I was thinking if this is a performance issue like, there are some 30 message sets and when messages arrive in bulk(50000) every message will use a different message set sometimes causing the message set to go out of memory stack and hence the RM Dictionary not found... not sure though!

I'm uncertain either. If that is the case, and it continues to happen under v7 then you need a PMR.

I'd be more interested to know how you're recording the message to "replay it manually" and if that's the same method (and format) that's used when the messages arrived in bulk.

Also 50,000 messages at once is not that much for a reasonably sized machine unless it's loaded or your broker is badly tuned.
Ravin
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

We store all the failed messages into a database and retrieve the message through a log viewer web page. We copy actual message content and paste it in a file and replay it through RFHUTIL for every such errors.
Also, do you know any methodology to analyze the issue and get a root cause for this? Thanks!
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Ravin wrote:
We copy actual message content and paste it in a file and replay it through RFHUTIL for every such errors.

So you don't replay the message, you resubmit the payload. Presumably RFHUtil (or whoever's working it) has a better idea of the message than the putting application.

Ravin wrote:
Also, do you know any methodology to analyze the issue and get a root cause for this? Thanks!

I'd have used the normal broker diagnostic methods that you'd use for any failing flow. All you need is the actual failing message rather than the content.
kimbert
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

You are not the first user to report occasional spurious 'RM Dictionary not found' errors in the v5 MRM parser.

I strongly recommend that you upgrade to v7 - you may find that the problem goes away. Even if not, IBM will find it much easier to diagnose your problem when it's on v7.
Ravin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Is it possible to directly migrate from v5.0 to v7.0 .. without migrating from v5.0 to v6.0 and then to v7.0... pls. let me know the reason for this.. thanks!
kimbert
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Quote:
Is it possible to directly migrate from v5.0 to v7.0 .. without migrating from v5.0 to v6.0 and then to v7.0
I don't think so.
Esa
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

I guess your messages come originally from an adapter?
And you have the MQInput configured to parse the message using MRM and a specified Message set?

In that case the adapter is configured with a wrong message set id. When you resubmit the message you do it in a way that drops the original MQRFH2 header, in which case the broker uses the hard coded values from the MQInput node.
mqmatt
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

kimbert wrote:
Quote:
Is it possible to directly migrate from v5.0 to v7.0 .. without migrating from v5.0 to v6.0 and then to v7.0
I don't think so.

Correct; you need to hop via v6.x.
In this case, rather than trying to do a straight V2V migration, it might be a good idea to create a new broker at the V7 level and slowly move your message flows across, once you've revalidated the business need for each one. Your requirements may well have changed since the deployment of the old V5 environment.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Message Broker v5 Performance Issue
Jump to: