ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Tracking mqsi commands on AIX server

Tracking mqsi commands on AIX server « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Rahul999
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Tracking mqsi commands on AIX server Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi All,

for some time I am working as an admin on Message Broker, what I am looking for is a way of track what are all the "mqsi" commands has been run on the server.
Like, when someone run "mqsireload" command on a AIX server(MB 6.1), then mqsi.log doesn't log this information, same goes for mqsisetdbparms, mqsichangeproperties and other mqsi commands.

Broker must provide a way where we can track this information.

Anyone have any suggestions for me.

Regards
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tracking mqsi commands on AIX server Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Rahul999 wrote:
Broker must provide a way where we can track this information.

Must it? Is it essential to the working of broker then?

Most mqsi commands are issued so infrequently, and by such a limited number of people with the required access, that tracking can be performed with forms & emails.

If you have a situation where a large number of people are issuing these commands on a regular basis you have a procedual security issue. If you need to have a large number of people issuing these commands on a regular basis you have a set up issue!
Rahul999
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:
Most mqsi commands are issued so infrequently, and by such a limited number of people with the required access, that tracking can be performed with forms & emails.

If you have a situation where a large number of people are issuing these commands on a regular basis you have a procedual security issue. If you need to have a large number of people issuing these commands on a regular basis you have a set up issue!

that is true, but it is a SIT box and we have to share the details across many team members because each one of them sometimes have to do "mqsilist" and other minor commands. But, there are overzealous team members who play with "mqsireload" commands, for them we need to track.

Last edited by Rahul999 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Rahul999 wrote:
that is true, but it is a SIT box and we have to share the details across many team members because each one of them sometimes have to do "mqsilist" and other minor commands.

No you don't.

Rahul999 wrote:
But, there are overzealous team members who play with "mqsilist" commands, for them we need to track.

I wouldn't have thought even the most overzealous use of mqsilist would cause a problem but hey.

The fact remains that WMB doesn't track issued commands. You're reliant on OS faciltiies which are present on every platform except Windows (AFAIK) and certainly exist on the AIX you said that you're using.

As I said, you have procedual & security issues which you need to address. This is nothing to do with WMB (or WMQ which takes the same view) and everything to do with your set up.
Rahul999
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Quote:

I wouldn't have thought even the most overzealous use of mqsilist would cause a problem but hey.

Vitor, Sorry it should be mqsireload instead of mqsilist, I have edited my post regarding the same.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Rahul999 wrote:
Quote:

Vitor, Sorry it should be mqsireload instead of mqsilist, I have edited my post regarding the same.

Does make more sense now, but I stand by my comments. It's a control problem not a broker problem and you can easily solve it with the facilities AIX provides.

"Solve it" is perhaps a bit strong (a final solution will require a trout) but AIX will identify the targets for you.

If you can get management buy in to the concept these people can use mqsilist but not mqsireload it'll fix that too.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Tracking mqsi commands on AIX server
Jump to: