ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Retrive BAR files deployed in Broker

Retrive BAR files deployed in Broker « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
kash3338
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Retrive BAR files deployed in Broker Reply with quote

Shaman

Hi,

I need to retrive the BAR files which are deployed to the Broker? I guess these BAR files would be stored in the Broker Data Base.

Can anyone help me with the Data Base table name where these BAR files are stored or is there any other way to retrive the BAR files deployed to a Broker's execution group?

-- Kashyap.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

The bar files are not stored.

The contents of the bar files, after significant processing, are stored.

There's no way to reconstruct the bar file, supported or unsupported, at least AFAIK.

There are a couple of people at Hursley who might know how to do this, but I'm really pretty sure they won't tell you.

You need to *save* the BAR files *before* you deploy.
fatherjack
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Retrive BAR files deployed in Broker Reply with quote

Knight

kash3338 wrote:
I need to retrive the BAR files which are deployed to the Broker?

Do you mean the files or just their names. If you mean the files then as mqjeff said . however the bar file names are available.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

There's also no guarantee that any bar file you could retrieve which contains a given flow is the bar file that contains the latest version of the flow.

It's essential (as others have said) to control bar files like any other source code. Conceptually you're trying to extract the C or COBOL from a compiled exe.
Sosed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

mqjeff wrote:
The bar files are not stored.

The contents of the bar files, after significant processing, are stored.

There's no way to reconstruct the bar file, supported or unsupported, at least AFAIK.

There are a couple of people at Hursley who might know how to do this, but I'm really pretty sure they won't tell you.

You need to *save* the BAR files *before* you deploy.

Hi, everybody!

I need to be sure that nobody could get source code if he has access to a wmb server.
This article (lancelotlinc's post) helped me to find processed content of bar file.

mqjeff, what is "significant processing"? Please, could you give some information or share articles about this processing? Or, may be, you could share information about security of deployed bar files?
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Sosed wrote:
I need to be sure that nobody could get source code if he has access to a wmb server.
This article (lancelotlinc's post) helped me to find processed content of bar file.

There are 2 points here:

a) Extracting the source may be a simple matter for someone of the self-proclaimed genius of lancelotlinc but it's not that straightforward. It's equivalent to (and in honesty a little easier) than reverse enginnering the source from a compiled executable.
b) You should have sufficient file system security in place to prevent that area being accessable to anyone other than the broker itself and it's immediate administrators. Note that "access to the broker" is not the same as this access

Sosed wrote:
you could share information about security of deployed bar files?

The security of a deployed bar file is however you've secured the bar file after you've deployed it. It's just a file.
lancelotlinc
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

The question in the other article is where they are stored. I've never advocated extracting those files as a means to build a bar file or extract source code.

There is no replacement for a bonafide source code control system.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

lancelotlinc wrote:
The question in the other article is where they are stored. I've never advocated extracting those files as a means to build a bar file or extract source code.

Nor was I attempting to suggest you had; simply give some indication of the difficulty involved in the method you mentioned on the other thread.

lancelotlinc wrote:
There is no replacement for a bonafide source code control system.

As you've stated many, many times here.
kash3338
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Vitor wrote:

a) Extracting the source may be a simple matter for someone of the self-proclaimed genius of lancelotlinc but it's not that straightforward. It's equivalent to (and in honesty a little easier) than reverse enginnering the source from a compiled executable.

Actually when I started this thread couple of years back, I just wanted to know a way to extract the deployed code (the ESQL) for few of my flows which were already in the Production server. That was required to do a comparison with existing code to check if what we had was the latest (There was no proper Source Control that time in that project which led to this activity).

In fact we got a solution for that using a mqsireportproperties which gives the ESQL code of deployed BAR files for a Execution group. In addition it gives all the details of the flows deployed in that EG. It wont be in a proper aligned order, but we will get every bit of information of the code.

So for the OP's question here,

Sosed wrote:

The answer is, if someone has complete access to the Broker server, he can extract the code using this command.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

kash3338 wrote:
It wont be in a proper aligned order, but we will get every bit of information of the code.

From which the code can be reverse engineered; the ESQL more easily than the node configuration.

kash3338 wrote:

Sosed wrote:

The answer is, if someone has complete access to the Broker server, he can extract the code using this command.

Which touches my other point; that access should be tightly controlled. Again I say it:

"Access to the server" does not give you access to the WMB administrative commands. If someone has logon rights (can access) to the WMB server, and (urgh) read access to the broker's file system they still can't access this source without the kind of programatic exercise lancelotlinc described.

So you say "complete access to the Broker server" you really do mean complete access. The ability to not only extract source code but replace it with code of their own far more easily!
kiantonator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vitor wrote:
kash3338 wrote:
It wont be in a proper aligned order, but we will get every bit of information of the code.

From which the code can be reverse engineered; the ESQL more easily than the node configuration.

kash3338 wrote:

Sosed wrote:

Which touches my other point; that access should be tightly controlled. Again I say it:

"Access to the server" does not give you access to the WMB administrative commands. If someone has logon rights (can access) to the WMB server, and (urgh) read access to the broker's file system they still can't access this source without the kind of programatic exercise lancelotlinc described.

So you say "complete access to the Broker server" you really do mean complete access. The ability to not only extract source code but replace it with code of their own far more easily!

Hi I am working for an organization where they lost the source files and all I have to work with is the BAR file, I have checked the BAR file it dosent contain the source code. So I need some way to reverse engineer or decompile the cmf files back into msgflow files. Does anyone knows how to do this ?
timber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

You have obviously searched this forum for all posts on this subject (I can see your comments on the other threads). Nothing has changed since those threads were active. You probably know as much as we do about the potential sources of information and what can be done with them.

If I was in this situation I would be asking the organisation to double check their archives in case the source code has been archived somewhere.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Retrive BAR files deployed in Broker
Jump to: