ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Changing qm.ini file (urgent)

Changing qm.ini file (urgent) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
arifndc
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Changing qm.ini file (urgent) Reply with quote

Novice

Dear All,

I have added the following lines in qm.ini file of production server becasue it was quickly required by client.

Channels:
MaxChannels=700
MaxActiveChannels=600
TCP:
KeepAlive=Yes
ListenerBacklog=700

Just clear me 2 things:

1- It is necessary to increase log file after these addition in qm.ini file ???

2- what are the possible impact / Issues may occure after these addition in qm.ini file. or what any other configuration changes are required after these changes ????

-Arif
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Changing qm.ini file (urgent) Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Don't double post! If you thought this was in the wrong place ask for it to be moved?

arifndc wrote:
1- It is necessary to increase log file after these addition in qm.ini file ???

Why would you think that? What connection does the log have with these?

arifndc wrote:
2- what are the possible impact / Issues may occure after these addition in qm.ini file. or what any other configuration changes are required after these changes ????

Isn't it a bit late if you've already made these changes? Didn't the client look into this before he urgently required these changes? Presumably the client had a reason, or a problem, and looks to this change to fix it? Why did you make the change if you don't know the impact, especially in production? If you made the change at the client's insistance, why are you worried about the consequences?
arifndc
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Changing qm.ini file (urgent) Reply with quote

Novice

Why would you think that? What connection does the log have with these?Actually i m asking about No: of log file because i saw an error in application server logs which is putting messages on MQ queue. error shows the code "WMQ Reason : 2003".

Isn't it a bit late if you've already made these changes? Didn't the client look into this before he urgently required these changes? Presumably the client had a reason, or a problem, and looks to this change to fix it? Why did you make the change if you don't know the impact, especially in production? If you made the change at the client's insistance, why are you worried about the consequences?[/quote]

I am asking this just for getting an expert opinion. i m an professional consultant for MQ. problem is that in the environment. i m working my client become more satisfied when some one from IBM support recommend the changes. no other issue. i know that no changes should be done direct on production.
I would be better if you provide me you expert opinion rather then digging out this type of things.
i hope you will take it positive.

-arif
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Changing qm.ini file (urgent) Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Quote tags make replies a lot easier to read you know

arifndc wrote:
Actually i m asking about No: of log file because i saw an error in application server logs which is putting messages on MQ queue. error shows the code "WMQ Reason : 2003".

I'd be surprised if this was a log problem. I'd suspect the application doesn't handle the connection changes too well, and is throwing 2003 as a result.

arifndc wrote:
I am asking this just for getting an expert opinion. i m an professional consultant for MQ. problem is that in the environment. i m working my client become more satisfied when some one from IBM support recommend the changes.

Then raise a PMR - we're not IBM and I doubt your client will be reassured by a bunch of volunteers on the Internet.
exerk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Changing qm.ini file (urgent) Reply with quote

Jedi Council

arifndc wrote:
...I would be better if you provide me you expert opinion rather then digging out this type of things...

Not being able to get inside your head and know your thought processes, Vitor was covering questions etc. that any half-decent admin/designer would ask. It was only in your second post (or third ) that you stated your depth of knowledge, and your first post was more akin to what a newbie might post.
gunter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

I don't expect a great impact on your system by changing these values, but if these channels are really used it may exhaust memory, cpu-ressources, log space ...
abhijit_mishra
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello Guys,

I might sound stupid...

But if you changed these parameters

MaxChannels
MaxActiveChannels

dont we have to bounce the QMGR... ???
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Generally, if you change something for the QM via runmqsc, it takes effect immediately, whereas changes to the qm.ini file need a QM restart to pick up the change.

This guideline is not written anywhere in the manuals, and may not be 100% true, but its always worked for me.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

abhijit_mishra wrote:

Both with you and my most worthy associate.

I've never seen it written down anywhere (links welcomed) but I'd certainly follow any change to qm.ini with a bounce of the queue manager.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Vitor wrote:
abhijit_mishra wrote:

Both with you and my most worthy associate.

I've never seen it written down anywhere (links welcomed) but I'd certainly follow any change to qm.ini with a bounce of the queue manager.

Not quite any... OCSPAuthentication values (in the SSL stanza) can be changed, and the resulting change picked up with a REFRESH SECURITY TYPE(SSL) command (I learned this the hard way )

EDIT: Forgot to state V7.0.1 onwards...

Last edited by exerk on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mvic
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Vitor wrote:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqzag.doc/fa12460_.htm
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

mvic wrote:
Vitor wrote:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.amqzag.doc/fa12460_.htm

Note the sneaky get-out: "...Any changes you make to a configuration file usually do not take effect until the next time the queue manager is started..."

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Changing qm.ini file (urgent)
Jump to: