ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » What should you have in onException?

What should you have in onException? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
steffi2
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: What should you have in onException? Reply with quote

Apprentice

If you want to handle failover say you have a cluster and the node fails over and you receive an onException thru your ExceptionListener what is it that it should do?

IBM's MQ jms jars are very fusy about what you close in the event of any kind of interruption and often simply block if you try to close receiver or session.

If you know that your application can reconnect by relaunching whenever you receive an onException call is there ever any reason to try to close receiver, session or connection upon shutting down?

Is it simply easier to shutdown the other areas of your application but let the JMS resources clean up upon exit of the application?

Note: this assumes you have the ability to relaunch the application automatically in the event something like this happens.

Otherwise it seems that if you try to recover by closing resources you will eventually block.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You should always explicitly manage your MQ resources and not wait for finalization. (Best practices)
So yes you need to close your resources in a finally block.

Getting the exceptions from the Exception listener is more for Server side sessions to use. You can use those as information. What this means is that the next operation you request from the session/connection that has trouble will throw a JMSException or a network exception or some kind of exception.

You will have to catch JMSException on your try call as well as put in a catch all on Exception... Then in the finally block release each and every resource acquired that is not null in its own try release object catch + finally set object to null block

Have fun
steffi2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Where's an example of how to reconnect a message listener when a connection is interrupted? If found that if you try to close the session it blocks indefinately

suppose I have n connections and n message listeners and I want to reconnect when ever I have an interruption what shoud I do in the onException? I assume onexception is sent from the delivery thread
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

steffi2 wrote:
Where's an example of how to reconnect a message listener when a connection is interrupted? If found that if you try to close the session it blocks indefinitely

suppose I have n connections and n message listeners and I want to reconnect when ever I have an interruption what should I do in the onException? I assume onException is sent from the delivery thread

It depends greatly whether you are in a J2EE environment or in a stand alone environment. In a stand alone environment you can possibly have a method to release and reacquire the resources. In a J2EE environment you should let the pooling and appserver handle part if not all of it. You may need to schedule some admin operation to restart MDBs. You will still have to code the app to release acquired resources and retry.

Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » What should you have in onException?
Jump to: