ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker support model

Broker support model « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sclarke
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Broker support model Reply with quote

Apprentice

I am curious to hear how various organizations model their support structure for the running of the broker and the configuration manager. Is it the middleware staff who may also support the application servers - WAS, JBOSS etc? Or a separate team that just supports the broker and it's components? Or does the team that actually develops flows and applications?

Our organization has a small team that develops broker flows which also supports the broker itself (upgrades, regular operation issues etc). I am trying to move the support to the middleware team (which also currently supports MQ itself) but would like to hear what other companies are doing.

Thanks.
MK8570
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

We have a middleware team which support MQ , WAS and WMB administration.

We have setup aix groups and acl for WMB development team.
jbanoop
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

My 2 cents...

At the client locations I have worked on, typically code artifacts (the actual deployed components) are supported by a support team comprising of MB designers/developers.
The infrastructure (MQ, Broker) is supported by 1 or more infra teams (sometimes MQ support is a separate team and MB support is separate but both may be supported by the same team as well).

When issues are raised the ticket is owned and the issue driven to resolution by the group owning the ticket (app support/ MQ support / MB support).
sclarke
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback - I would like to hear from a couple more companies out there if possible. Anyone else want to share your running broker support model?

Thank you very much....
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

It's generally viewed as a poor idea for developers to deploy things all the way to production

Particularly by regulations like SOX.
smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

mqjeff wrote:
It's generally viewed as a poor idea for developers to deploy things all the way to production

Particularly by regulations like SOX.

Agreed. It is usually a very bad idea to let developers anywhere near production except to explain why their code can't work despite spending hours if not days/weeks/months in testing.

Developers & Support people tend (being general) to have completly different mindsets.

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Vitor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

My experience is that components (WMB, WMQ, WAS, Dbase, box support) are supported by 1-n teams depending on organisational size & skill diversity. So Dbase is nearly always a team by itself, WMB & WMQ may or may not be lumped together and all of these are different from the teams that run production.

Certainly it's a general rule that development & support are 2 separate functions no matter how many people run support. I can't speak to SOX but accept the word of my associate, and it's a common sense split. Like having production separated from the development process. If only to have the developed code reviewed/processed/signed off/etc from different people (and there was a whole thread recently on how to work that).

My 2 cents.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Broker support model
Jump to: