ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » WMQFTE and Pause the transmition

WMQFTE and Pause the transmition « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
TBS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: WMQFTE and Pause the transmition Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi !

Is it passible to pause the transmission end then start it again ?
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

There is no specific pause functionality - once a transfer starts it will run to completion as long as both agents are available. If you really need to temporarily halt traffic you could possibly experiment with stopping one or both of the agents, since when they are restarted the transfer will continue from where it stopped. To stop an agent in the middle of a transfer you will need to use the -i ("immediate") option on fteStopAgent.
TBS
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Hi !
Yep I did that .. Thanks
kodiakk
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi there,
I've discovered that in this scenario, FTE doesn't always pick up where it left off. In one of the tests I ran, it successfully picked up where it left off only 2 out of 3 times. I repeated the process, with similar results, but a different file was "orphaned" this time. At the end of the testing, I had about 6 .part files out there that were never picked up.
The next time the files were sent, the .part files that were left were simply ignored, and a .part1 was created until the file was fully finished.
Ultimately, the files all got to their destinations as intended, but I had .part files left over.

Any thoughts?
TBS
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

The funktionality of pause the transmision soud be a part of the produkt with a botton
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

kodiakk wrote:

Ultimately, the files all got to their destinations as intended, but I had .part files left over.

I haven't seen this behaviour before, although I wasn't personally involved in the restart / recovery development or testing. The best way to get to the bottom of this is probably a formal problem report, as debugging it is likely to need trace files and so on.

TBS wrote:

The funktionality of pause the transmision soud be a part of the produkt with a botton

Like any other software project, we have far more ideas and feature requests than we could possibly implement, so things have to be prioritised. We can prioritise better if we understand how and why people want to use a feature. Under what circumstances do you need to pause a transfer?

Pete
TBS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Under the test of WMQFTE we did have some problem with a disk that was close to running full and we liked to pause the file-transfer while we did some disk clean up.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

TBS wrote:
Under the test of WMQFTE we did have some problem with a disk that was close to running full and we liked to pause the file-transfer while we did some disk clean up.

As I was reading this thread I was thinking what possible reason could there be to pause a file push. But this is a very good reason. I haven't used MQFTE yet, just read the Red book and paper, but I would hope this feature fins its way into the product.
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I can see the convenience of an easy button to do this kind of thing, but I don't think the current solution of stopping the agent while you tidy up around it is a terrible one.

Better visibility and control of the FTE infrastructure from the GUI (which might include stopping and restarting of agents) is certainly on our long-range radar. Personally, I'd love to be able to configure and administer and generally fly around the FTE network graphically as I can for MQ using MQ Explorer. However, this is not something that will be added overnight.
kodiakk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

One simple update to the FTE GUI that would go a LONG way in my book, is to add date/time stamps in the TRANSFER LOG (as opposed to the progress log). I have a couple of templates that run overnight, when the applications using the files are stopped, so I get a lot of "failed" messages during that time, as well as a lot of "success" messages, because no files were found to transfer. Being able to see WHEN each of those occurred would help a lot.

P.S. I know that you can look into the "properties" of each and the date and time are there in the XML properties, but that's usually more time-consuming than it's worth. Also, the properties show the transfers at GMT, instead of my timezone, which is EST.
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Kodiakk - I'll mention that to my GUI developer colleague, but as always no promises that it'll make it into any particular release.

I do wonder whether there's something you could do to avoid getting the failure messages at all. The slightly-misnamed "trigger" functionality that was in v7.0.0 (and is now largely replaced by Monitors) is really a conditional check that happens before a transfer is initiated. Could you add a trigger so that if the relevant files aren't there the transfer isn't attempted?

Pete
kodiakk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Pete,
I probably could get away with using triggering instead of just sending on an hourly basis, since the template depends on the file "consumption" at the destination... for our test environment, however, we thought hourly might give us a good idea of just the functionality.
I can still see the use of putting date/time in the transfer even with triggering enabled, though.
dnwe
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@kodiakk GUI developer colleague here. Are you asking for a date and time stamp for when each transfer log entry was updated (as opposed to when the transfer started)? If so, follow the 'configure columns' information in the infocenter here and enable the 'state recorded' column (it is disabled by default)
PeteVerdon
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

kodiakk wrote:
I probably could get away with using triggering instead of just sending on an hourly basis

Just to be clear, it's not an either/or choice, since the "triggering" support in version 7.0.0 isn't quite what the name suggests. It doesn't observe the directory and kick off a transfer as soon as something happens; rather it is a check that takes place early in the process of starting a transfer, and aborts it (with or without a log message saying so) if the trigger condition isn't satisfied. In your situation you'd keep the hourly schedule, but add the trigger so that the transfer doesn't take place if the file isn't present.

(The functionality of watching a directory and acting as soon as something changes is included in version 7.0.1 under the name "directory monitoring".)

Pete
kodiakk
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi dnwe,
I'm actually starting to see a few different things in my environments as far as the date/time stamp display is concerned.
Just a couple of days ago, I set up a template to run at 10 minutes to the hour, every hour. No trigger settings were used, nor any monitoring settings. This template DOES display the date/time stamp of when the transfer was STARTED. (Successful delivery or failed delivery time would also be helpful, I'm thinking.)
In one of my first templates, I set up a scheduled AND triggered delivery, and there is NO display of date/time stamp anywhere in the GUI transfer log, just in the "log status" window at the bottom.

I'll check out your link in the info center, and see about getting that set up.

Thanks!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ File Transfer Edition » WMQFTE and Pause the transmition
Jump to: