ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » AMQERR01.LOG Permissions changing from rw-rw-rw to rw-rw

AMQERR01.LOG Permissions changing from rw-rw-rw to rw-rw « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
elaine_doyle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: AMQERR01.LOG Permissions changing from rw-rw-rw to rw-rw Reply with quote

Anyone know why the permissions of AMQERR01.log change all the time from rw-rw-rw to rw-rw and back again ???

Is it the mqm read/write process that is causing this permission change in conjunction with the umask of the mqm user (which is 027)?
Patrol is setup to tail this file for alerting purposes and because of the permissions change it can't perform this function correctly.

1. How can I monitor this file to see what process is amending the file, what its doing, and when its doing it?
2. How can I get the permissions of the file to be retained as rw-rw-rw (or rw-rw-r) without changing the umask of the mqm user?

regards
Elaine Doyle
dgolding
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi Elaine,

That's a bit strange. What OS (I assume some Unix variant obviously)? Don't forget, the AMQERR01.LOG file becomes AMQERR02.LOG when it gets full. If you're doing a tail -f I used to find that when the file switch occurred tail wasn't able to open the new file. My guess was that tail was merely seeing if the EOF had changed, so if the file disappears from under it then it can't handle tha.

What you are doing is very interesting however and also precisely what we are looking to do to monitor MQ using Patrol. Would you care to swap notes?

regards

Don Golding
elaine_doyle
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds good Don, thanks. Indeed you're right - the file does roll over - but in rolling over does it re-create itself, i.e. with a new time stamp etc. I suspect not as we currently we have a patrol log file monitoring template setup to monitor the same file on a HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800 server which is successful.

The problem is on a SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-32 sun4u server. The permissions seem to be changing on this one when roll-over occurs - at least thats the only solution we can come up with. We have checked all crontab jobs/scripts that are relevant to log file clearing etc and none change the permissions of any file in that file structure.
Is it the the standard process on Solaris that the permissions of the rollover file change ????

Note: The umask value is the same for the mqm user on both servers.
dgolding
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Hi Elaine,

I had a look at a Solaris 2.6 system here - I changed the permission of AMQERR01.LOG to rw-rw-rwx, then generated an FDC. The permission immediately snapped back to rw-rw-rw-. The user mqm had written to the LOG file and the FDC, so it had all permission in the directory (/var/mqm/errors) and was able to change the write permissions on this file. But of course, this directory can be written to by anyone, the mqm user, in the mqm group or not.

Now, one thing ocurred to me, what permission do you have on the directory /var/mqm/errors? Ours are set as rwxrwsrwx. Also, is the owner and group of the file mqm?

AFAIK, whn MQ rolls over a file, it just changes the name, which in Unix means just changing the directory entry - the file attributes are unchanged.

As a matter of interest, how are you using Patrol to monitor this file? Are you executing a system command to list the contents if changed, or have you written a KM to do this?

regards

Don

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » AMQERR01.LOG Permissions changing from rw-rw-rw to rw-rw
Jump to: