ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQSERIES and MFE (Desktop Mainframe Emulator)

MQSERIES and MFE (Desktop Mainframe Emulator) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Has anyone used MQSeries with MFE? It is a testing/developer tool that allows a programmer to step through the COBOL code from their PC, simulating the mainframe environment. If 100 desktops have it, and they are (not MQ) clients to one MFE server, where the MQSeries Queue Manager resides, what needs to happen? I assume I need to download the NT MQClient to the desktops, not an OS/390 client. Actually, is there even such a thing as an OS/390 client? I didn't see that in the list of downloadable Clients.

What about the code? On the mainframe it is compiled to run as a server app on OS/390. Now that it is on the PC and needs to run as a client, do we need to recompile the programs to run as client apps? Do we treat them as NT Client apps or OS/390 client apps?

Or does each desktop need it's own queue manager? Actually, we may need to go this route regardless. Our mainframe has 1 queue manager. Any triggered queues know what program to start. What is gonna happen when 100 people are clients to 1 queue manager and programmer 1 drops a messages into a triggered queue. Do all 100 programmers's simulated mainframes have an equal, random chance of being the one whose trigger monitor grabs the trigger message first?

I'm sure we'll stumble our way through all this in the coming weeks, it's just that we have some preliminary meetings coming up and I would like to be better informed.

EddieA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Peter,

First the disclaimer. I've never even heard of MFE, much less used it. Having said that, here's some food for thought:

Now. Where EXACTLY does the COBOL code run. Does it run on the mainframe (within the MFE server ??) and the PC code is just a client to control/view the execution. If so, then the environment is the same as if MFE wasn't in the picture.

Or. Does the COBOL code actully run on the PC. If so, how does it handle current OS functions. Opening a file, reading from a file, database access, etc. Knowing how it does this will point the way to how MQ needs to be set up.

To your last question. Are you likely to have 100 developers all working on the SAME program at the SAME time. I would have thought it would be only one. So, no problem with knowing 'who' gets triggered.

Cheers,

PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I don't know exactly where the code will run (I'll ask that at the first meeting), but both the server and the clients are NT.

Triggering. No, all 100 users won't be in the same program, but they could be. I don't think that's an issue. All 100 will have a trigger monitor watching the init queue. If a trigger message is put there because programer #1 puts a message in the triggered queue, who's to say that programmer #1's trigger monitor will win in the fight over that trigger message? Maybe #99 will win, causing his mainframe environment to start, meanwhile #1 is scratching his head wondering why his didn't.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » MQSERIES and MFE (Desktop Mainframe Emulator)
Jump to: