ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Knowledge

Knowledge « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sumit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Knowledge Reply with quote

Partisan

It's always been very pleasent to see replies from all gurus on various MQ problems. Sometimes, I jst amazed how do you all know nearly everything related to MQ!!

Not only this, many of you reply to queries related to various platforms, various languages, various tools (with which MQ works). How do you manage to get all these info? Did you keep on trying various scenarios on your local system or this is coz of hand on experience that you get while troubleshooting various issues in office?

Whatever the case may be.. hats-off to all gurus.
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Knowledge Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

sumit wrote:
How do you manage to get all these info?

Reading the documentation. Seriously. Especially the "What's new in this release".

sumit wrote:
Did you keep on trying various scenarios on your local system or this is coz of hand on experience that you get while troubleshooting various issues in office?

Both. I've been earning a living with middleware (WMQ/WMB/Tibco/etc/etc) for 12 years and in IT since the glaciers thawed, hence my knowledge of a wide variety of platforms. Including mainframe, the first of which was revealed as the ice retreated....

But I've worked on most platforms, seen most errors and been asked to design most things. Many of which never made it off PoC on my local machine.

sumit wrote:
Whatever the case may be.. hats-off to all gurus.

It's so nice to have the fact I have no life recognised. Though of course when you say "guru", there is one to which we must all defer....

All Hail The Grand Poobah!
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

I learned most of what I know about MQ through three things: 1) reading the documentation, 2) trying things, 3) trying to answer questions on mqseries.net, even if only for myself, by using #1 and #2.

bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

For me, reading the manuals, hands-on experience, curiousity, and a low-threshold of boredom.

I knew nothing about MQ when someone asked me if I knew anything about MQ. Without hesitation I replied "What would you like to know?" This lead me to research (read), which lead me to install and test, which led me to taking on responsible for MQ.

I'm not infatuated with any particular o/s or platform or programming language. I've seen others fawn over Windows and decline an opportunity to work on UNIX and zOS. This is a career-limiting behavior, as I see it.

Since MQ interacts with networks, my curiousity led me to become interested in network stuff. Since MQ crosses platforms, o/s's and languages, my curiousity led me to get involved there.

The same formula has me doing some of the demolition, plumbing and electrical work on our kitchen remodel. I'll have to get back to you on my level of success with this.
sumit
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Knowledge Reply with quote

Partisan

Vitor wrote:
All Hail The Grand Poobah!

Whenever I go through various MQ queries related to Mainframe, I jst not able to understand much. Although I read it, but I don't think I'd be able to store them in my unconcious mind. As I have practically ZERO experience on Mainframe, how could I corelate certain terminologies which very much are platform specific. Jst doing google with no practical use is not helpful for long run. Is there a simulator available for Mainframe?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

While the mainframe is a very different animal, it has much in common with Windows and UNIX.

First, it is a computer; so it does input, processing and output.

Seond, it has an o/s - actually several to pick from. z/OS is the o/s of choice for most mainframe shops. z/VM, z/TPF, zLinux, are other choices.
Technically, MVS is the o/s. z/OS is the package that includes the MVS and all the supporting service apps.

That said, the purpose of an o/s is to share precious resources (i/o, central storage, processors) among the various users. z/OS excels here. It's not uncommon for hundreds or thousands of users to log on and be working concurrently on a single z/OS instance.

z/OS uses JCL as it's batch scripting language. It uses TSO as its command-line interface (like c: or $ prompts). It uses ISPF panels or CICS or IMS for transaction-based processing. It doesn't do GUI natively, but can be the back-end to a GUI app on a platform that does GUI.

So, from an MQ perspective, 80% of what you learn is applicable to all platforms; while 20% is platform-specific.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Knowledge
Jump to: