ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » WMQ High Availibility on AIX

WMQ High Availibility on AIX « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jeasterl
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:15 am    Post subject: WMQ High Availibility on AIX Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hello All,
I am in need of some best practice information regarding WMQ high availibility on the AIX platform. Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks!
jsware
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Take a look at the IBM support pack IC63 at http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/txppacs/mc63.html

It provides documentation and support scripts to setup AIX with HACMP.

John.
jeasterl
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Thank you for the response, however the customer is not using HACMP. In addition, I failed to mention that this is a pub/sub configuration. My initial thought was to cluster the queue managers such that, if one fails, all messages would fail over to the other queue manager. However, the pub/sub documentation clearly states that queues used in the the pub/sub environment cannot be clustered.

I understand that, in order to fully achieve HA, several diretories need to be in a shared directory, i.e /var/mqm/ . Other than that, if the customer is not using HACMP, are there other consideriations that I should take to make this environment highly available?
jsware
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

Hmm, without using HACMP, how are you going to fail over the IP address so that if there is a failure, the second box can be configured as the primary box (you can do this manually, and write your own version of HACMP).

Basically you would need the following three scripts -
checkmq
startmq
stopmq

You can then have an "event management" script run checkmq every minute or so, this can check that all the processes are running and that the qm responds to a "ping qmgr".

If this fails, then the management script can run stopmq, then unmount and mount that /var/mqm filesystem onto the other machine, reconfigure the IP address etc. and bring it up. This is what HACMP does basically.

Without the /var/mqm filesystem being on shared disk (not shared via NFS because MQ logging does not support this) I don;t know how you're going to fail the filesystem over to a backup box.

You'll have to consider where the pub/sub messages are stored (in a database?) and fail those filesystems over too.

You can also use the start/stop/check scripts to attempt an automatic re-start - if the check fails issue a stop followed by a start...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » WMQ High Availibility on AIX
Jump to: