ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » urgent :Can we generate performance event messages on OS/390

urgent :Can we generate performance event messages on OS/390 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
piyalida
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: urgent :Can we generate performance event messages on OS/390 Reply with quote

Novice

Can we generate performance event messages on OS/390 through a C program.PCF commands are not supported on MQSeries 5.2 in mainframe.As I understand,event messages use the CFH structure as with PCF except that Format field needs to be set to MQFMT_EVENT for event messages.
Since PCF commands are not supported in OS/390,would I be able to generate event messages?The manuals give sample event generation programs but don't mention if it can run on OS/390.
dgolding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

Certainly channel and qmgr (SYSTEM.ADMIN.QMGR.EVENT and SYSTEM.ADMIN.CHANNEL.EVENT) messages get generated on OS/390, so I can see no reason why PERFM events wouldn't be generated also. We have our QDEPTHs up so high we would get an exploding disk drive before we get a QDEPTHHI or QFULL event

Don't forget, that initially QDEPTHHI isn't enabled on a queue, so you have to fill it first (which enables QDEPTHLO) then drain it, whichsets QDEPTHLO events to "off" and sets QDEPTHHI events to "on". And the values HI and LO are PERCENTAGES, and not NUMBER of messages.

HTH
piyalida
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

I'm referring to generating it through a program.I want to generate a queue not serviced event based on the parameters returned from RESET QSTATS command on OS/390.I would need to code the Reason code of the event header for candle monitoring.Can I do it in OS/390 as PCF commands are not supported on MQ V5.2 in OS/390.
dgolding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yatiri

I can't see any reason why you can't generate the event message yourself, and put it in the SYSTEM.ADMIN.PERFM.EVENT queue. PCF isn't supported, in that there is no command server running to processing commands on SYSTEM.COMMAND.ADMIN.QUEUE, but event messages are AFAIK "Universal".....

HTH
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Hi piyalida,

I have done simalar things to what you are trying to do (I worked at Candle for 3 years!!). I wrote my own user defined Channel performance event messages to SYSTEM.ADMIN.PERFM.EVENT on OS/390 for Candle's monitoring tool to pick up.

Forget about PCF - you need to think about Event Headers. I specifically used MQCFH, MQCFST & MQCFIN. I setup the event headers and then set the reason field (e.g. pEvtHdr->Reason) equal to some wild number (e.g. 9556789).

Then I setup a situation in the CMW, to look for the wild reason number and then do some "Running Man" action.

later
Roger...
piyalida
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject: Event Data Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks for the response.It works but I'm stuck up with generating the event data.I want to put the queue name alongwith the reason code.Candle is not able to recognize the queue name when the situation is coded as MQEvent.ResourceName = 'Q name' but works when the situation is created as QStats.QueueName = 'Q Name'.This is the code that I 've.Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this code?
AdminMsgLen = MQCFH_STRUC_LENGTH
+ MQCFST_STRUC_LENGTH_FIXED
+ MQ_Q_NAME_LENGTH;
pAdminMsg = (MQBYTE *)malloc( AdminMsgLen );

pPCFHeader = (MQCFH *)pAdminMsg;

pPCFString = (MQCFST *)(pAdminMsg
+ MQCFH_STRUC_LENGTH
);

pPCFHeader->Type = MQCFT_EVENT;
pPCFHeader->StrucLength = MQCFH_STRUC_LENGTH;
pPCFHeader->Version = MQCFH_VERSION_1;
pPCFHeader->Command = MQCMD_PERFM_EVENT;
pPCFHeader->MsgSeqNumber = MQCFC_LAST;
pPCFHeader->Control = MQCFC_LAST;
pPCFHeader->CompCode = MQCC_WARNING;
pPCFHeader->ParameterCount = 1;

tup string parameter block - queue name */
pPCFString->Type = MQCFT_STRING;
pPCFString->StrucLength = MQCFST_STRUC_LENGTH_FIX
+ MQ_Q_NAME_LENGTH;
pPCFString->Parameter = MQCA_Q_NAME;
pPCFString->CodedCharSetId = MQCCSI_DEFAULT;
pPCFString->StringLength = MQ_Q_NAME_LENGTH;
memcpy(pPCFString->String, QName, MQ_Q_NAME_LENGTH );

pPCFHeader->Type = MQCFT_EVENT;
pPCFHeader->Command = MQCMD_PERFM_EVENT;
pPCFHeader->MsgSeqNumber = MQCFC_LAST;
pPCFHeader->Control = MQCFC_LAST;
pPCFHeader->CompCode = MQCFC_LAST;

Its a performance event message.
Thanks
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

When posting code, please wrap your code with the BBCode tags of [code] and [/code] - it makes the code much more readable.

In the MQCFST structure, I set the "String" field to contain the extra information that I wanted to pass to the Candle agent. I can't remember the attribute field name in the CMW but if you play around you will probably find the correct field (I don't have access to a CMW right now). I think it was something goofy like, OBJECTID or SOURCE or DESTNODE.

later
Roger...
piyalida
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Thanks Roger,
Couldn't find anything like OBJECTID or Source ID,there is a parameter called Queue Name.What we are looking at right now is the
MQEvent.Resource_Name which is failing.Anymore ideas?Anything different in the way a situation has to be defined for Distributed as against Mainframe??
Thanks
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

Sorry, I no longer use Candle's product, so I don't have a way to test catching the event.

later
Roger...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » urgent :Can we generate performance event messages on OS/390
Jump to: