ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ object owner

MQ object owner « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Yanghui
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: MQ object owner Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi,

I have another question here. Since a lot of developers are using same MQ environment, many mq objects have been created. Sometimes we think some of the objects are never used since created but not sure who created them. Is there any way to check the owner of one MQ object? From MQSC, we only can get information like CREATEDATE and CREATETIME? Where can I find the CREATE USERID?

Thanks

-Yanghui
jsware
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

I don't think there is the notion of object ownership. They are all "owned" my "mqm".

One suggestion is to use the saveqmgr support pack to save off the queue manager definition and delete the queues. If somebody complains, you can put them back from the saved definition.

I would also recommend you read the MD00 and MD01 support packs. One of the first recommendations in these guides is to "identify the MQ Administrator". It appears that your developers have the ability to create their own queues which is akin to DBAs allowing them to create their own tables in a database (IMHO).
Yanghui
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Thanks for your response.

I understand what you say but I still don't think it's necessary to control the creation of MQ objects in development environment just like we don't control DB developer to creat tables. Actually it's easier to control DB since all the DB objects are within a usr's schema. The usr can manage to delete some tables if he/she run out of tablespace.

However MQ is not like DB. It's more like a file system. So, probably we have to go for a file system solution. Since each q is mapped to a file. If a q file hasn't accessed with two months, it will be on the list to be deleted. After confirming with all the MQ users, it will be removed if nobody claims it.

It's not a perfect solution but at least it applys some control. Another problem is to check channels which are not mapped to files. I haven't got a good way to handle it but channels are not an issue most time.

Regards
-Yanghui
P.S. Is it possible to figure out which applications are using a queue if either IPPROCS or OPPROCS is not zero? Thanks in advance.
jsware
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevalier

You can check who is using a queue on WMQ 5.2 using the display qstatus command.

Unfortunately it is a new feature on 5.3 and is not available on earlier versions on the distributed platforms.

You'll also need to remember that channels will keep the q open for output if the messages get delivered from a remote qmgr.

John.
nimconsult
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Yanghui

One alternative is to create a queue manager per project team. When the project gets promoted, you can completely recycle the queue manager for another project or delete it.

Nicolas

NIMCONSULT Software Architecture Services (Belgium)
http://www.nimconsult.be

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ object owner
Jump to: