ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL

Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mquser01
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL Reply with quote

Acolyte

I read that if we add MQIBindType=FASTPATH to qm.ini (on Linux) we get performance benfits but when i test for the same there was hardly any differnce in the readings for With FASTPATH and without FASTPATH...
I checked for send/recv of messages in range of 1000 - 200000.

Same is the case for MAXMSGL I read that for performance benefits the MAXMSGL = 2 to 3 times of the message size you are going to send and receive... but here too the test didn't show any results mentioned i.e. there was no performance benefit..

In above cases by performance benefit i mean send/receive rate
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mquser01 wrote:
I read that if we add MQIBindType=FASTPATH to qm.ini (on Linux) we get performance benfits but when i test for the same there was hardly any differnce in the readings for With FASTPATH and without FASTPATH...

Were your test messages persistent or non-persistent? IIRC persistent messages don't use that even if it's set.
mquser01
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

non-persistent messages
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mquser01 wrote:
non-persistent messages

Ok, so that's not your problem then....

Can't say I've ever got too involved with this area; I've always fixed performance problems by getting the network working properly!

Someone with more experience will be along in a minute.
mquser01
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

I have also set the Queue Manager MQIBindType attribute to FAST but no difference in performance....
if anyone has tried doing this and performance has actually improved please let me know if anything else also has to be done apart from adding MQIBindType=FASTPATH to qm.ini
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL Reply with quote

Jedi

Vitor wrote:
Were your test messages persistent or non-persistent? IIRC persistent messages don't use that even if it's set.

FASTPATH or "trusted" applications load queue manager code directly into the application process, regardless of the type of messages being put/get by that app. The benefit is that this saves a few wait states that exist between app and qmgr in the normal (non-FASTPATH) case. The process must run as mqm:mqm for this to work. The app must be "trusted" as in: secure, stable, well behaved. Generally people trust their IBM-supplied channel programs (but maybe not if they are running untested or untrusted exit code!). If the exits in the system can be trusted, then in general channel programs are good candidates for being "trusted". The benefit will come mainly from apps that do a lot of short-lived MQI calls. So puts/gets of large persistent messages do not benefit much. But puts/gets of small non-persistent ones do benefit. The absolute size of the benefit as always depends on persistence, msg size, network, disk speeds, so is only quantifiable by testing. The only doubt I have over the mquser01's setup is whether the setting has been recognized and is being used by the channels. There might be a better way than this, but the way I know to check is to run a trace for a short while, and see if the formatted tracefile from a SDR channel process contains mentions of zifMQGET (f=FASTPATH) or ziiMQGET (i=shared memory binding). Hope this helps.

Finally a link to the manual page for more info : http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqv6/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.mq.csqzae.doc/ic12700_.htm

UPDATE:
The above manual page says you shouldn't make channel programs trusted if "you are using unstable channel exits or the command STOP CHANNEL MODE(TERMINATE)".
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
we get performance benfits

Keep in mind that 'performance benefits' is one of those relateive terms; and that there are diminishing returns on your tuning investment as your environment changes.

Newer, faster, multi-processor engines, more RAM, and more efficient o/s's, often reduce (or negate. relatively speaking) the performance benefits that might have been realized on older, slower systems.
EddieA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL Reply with quote

Jedi

mquser01 wrote:
Same is the case for MAXMSGL I read that for performance benefits the MAXMSGL = 2 to 3 times of the message size you are going to send and receive... but here too the test didn't show any results mentioned i.e. there was no performance benefit..

AFAIK the value of MAXMSGL doesn't have any impact on performance.

But again, I'm willing to be corrected on this.

Cheers,
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Quote:
the value of MAXMSGL doesn't have any impact on performance

Sounds like a cert question...
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

I don't see how MAXMSGL helps performance. I guess you can set it to 1 so that you could only put 1 byte messages. That would probably make things faster!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » Performance benefits of MQIBindType=FASTPATH and MAXMSGL
Jump to: