ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » To monitor a specific queue using Tivoli Omegamon

To monitor a specific queue using Tivoli Omegamon « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ms_mq
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: To monitor a specific queue using Tivoli Omegamon Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi,

Can we use Tivoli Omegamon for monitoring a particualr queue ? I need to monitor a particular queue for it's depth and raise an alert if it goes beyond a specific limit. ie Currently, it moniors all the queues in the queue manager for generic events like Queue Full,Queue high etc. Can i override this for a particular queue ? Please advise.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Yes, you should be able to do this...

I can't give specific steps for it, but I suspect that the documentation will give you some good advice in this area.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v15r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.omegamon.mes.doc/toc.xml
ms_mq
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Hi jefflowrey,

Many thanks for your reply. I will have a look.
TivoliGuy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the granularity of the managed system lists do not go down to the Queue level.

You need to look for the specific queue name within your situation formula.

In our shop we resereved the Queue Description for monitoring use. We are using codes within this field to group queues for specific monitoring behaviour. It's not the optimal solution but it's the best we have come up with so far.

We are grouping message flows by execution group as there is no description field available for those.
rtsujimoto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

To do this you will need to: 1. in the generic situations, test for specific queue name as an exclusion case 2. create a queue-specific situation and test for the queue name explicitly

If you have a bunch of generic situations, you need to update them all in the same fashion, otherwise you'll end up with duplicate alerts.

We do this for certain application queues and it works just fine.
TivoliGuy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtsujimoto wrote:
To do this you will need to: 1. in the generic situations, test for specific queue name as an exclusion case 2. create a queue-specific situation and test for the queue name explicitly

If you have a bunch of generic situations, you need to update them all in the same fashion, otherwise you'll end up with duplicate alerts.

We do this for certain application queues and it works just fine.

That works well until you are dealing with hundreds of queues and your situation formula exceeds ITM's limit. It does not take long to excede the formula size in ITM.
rtsujimoto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Point taken. If the poster has a special, or limited situation, then it's a reasonable approach. Obviously, if you're writing queue-specific situations for many many queues...then, guess what - you probably could use a generic situation.
TivoliGuy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtsujimoto wrote:
Point taken. If the poster has a special, or limited situation, then it's a reasonable approach. Obviously, if you're writing queue-specific situations for many many queues...then, guess what - you probably could use a generic situation.

Well the situation I am working through right now is that I have approximately 500 Queues.

40 of them are input queues for workflows that are turned off during IMS shutdown every night.

I am monitoring the queue depths using the Queue Depth high messages coming from MQ.

The queues needed to be sufficiently large to queue messages when the message flows are off.

I needed to monitor the depths to a lower threshold during the day when the message flows are running.

I could not add inclusion or exclusion rules in the formulas for 40 queues so we added flags to the Queue description to reduce the formula size.
rtsujimoto
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

Or, if you have strong naming conventions, you could wildcard the queue name.
TivoliGuy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtsujimoto wrote:
Or, if you have strong naming conventions, you could wildcard the queue name.

I wanted tpo do this but we don't have anything in the queue name that signifies that a message flow attached to it uses IMS. It didn't make sence to start adding this to queue names.
dove-young
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: To monitor a specific queue using Tivoli Omegamon Reply with quote

ms_mq wrote:
Hi,

Can we use Tivoli Omegamon for monitoring a particualr queue ? I need to monitor a particular queue for it's depth and raise an alert if it goes beyond a specific limit. ie Currently, it moniors all the queues in the queue manager for generic events like Queue Full,Queue high etc. Can i override this for a particular queue ? Please advise.

If you don't want anything but the particular queue, you can modify your monitor agent's configuration file, mq_XXX.cfg, and specify the particular queue name in SET QUEUE NAME( ) then restart your monitor agent.

Login to TEP and expand queue definition workspace, you will find that only the particular queue which you specified in configuration file is displayed in the workspace.
dove-young
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TivoliGuy wrote:
rtsujimoto wrote:

Well the situation I am working through right now is that I have approximately 500 Queues.

40 of them are input queues for workflows that are turned off during IMS shutdown every night.

I am monitoring the queue depths using the Queue Depth high messages coming from MQ.

The queues needed to be sufficiently large to queue messages when the message flows are off.

I needed to monitor the depths to a lower threshold during the day when the message flows are running.

I could not add inclusion or exclusion rules in the formulas for 40 queues so we added flags to the Queue description to reduce the formula size.

If you don't have strong naming conventions and want to write a specific situation for 40 specific queues, you can write custom situation and include Queue Description column into attribute list and then give Queue Description a strong naming convention.

Omegamon XE for Messaging 6.0.1 support Queue Description in situations.
TivoliGuy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dove-young wrote:

If you don't have strong naming conventions and want to write a specific situation for 40 specific queues, you can write custom situation and include Queue Description column into attribute list and then give Queue Description a strong naming convention.

Omegamon XE for Messaging 6.0.1 support Queue Description in situations.

Thats what we are doing. the only issue I have come across is that not all tables contain the Queue Description.

I am leaning more towards developing a Queue Fingerprint for the various queues and thier montioring rules. this would allow us to have queues included or excluded from a situation just by how it's configured.

We have not made any progress with this, I am just at the stage of documenting our queue configurations and trying to find common configurations that will allow us to ID a queue.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Performance Monitoring » To monitor a specific queue using Tivoli Omegamon
Jump to: