ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Design Issue: pub/sub vs. distributed queueing

Design Issue: pub/sub vs. distributed queueing « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
skytorch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Design Issue: pub/sub vs. distributed queueing Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

We're redesign-ing the current mq system that is based on distributed queueing. Part of the system is doing this flow:

*** distributed queueing ***
Q1 -> App1 ----> persistent Q2 (step 1)
(Q1 -> App1) \-> non persistent Q3 (step 2)

App1 takes a message out of Q1 and put it into Q2, after it's done, put it into Q3. The reason why we made Q1->Q2->Q3 serial operation is we have to guarantee the message is stored in Q2 before it's dispatched further to Q3. In this case, Q2 becomes the bottleneck of the system since it's a persistent queue.

We're thinking about this approach:

*** pub/sub ***
Q1 -> App1 (publisher) ---> persistent Q2 (subscriber)
(Q1 -> App1 publisher) ---> non persistent Q3 (subscriber, get msg concurrently)

Questions:
- How can I guarantee msg is stored in Q2 in this case ? Is guarantee delivery part of native MQ protocol or it's additional protocol from other vendors/products ?
- Can it have any performance gain over the distributed queueing approach ?
- What're the cons and pros if compare these two options ?
- Does the MQ5.2 have pub/sub implementation ? I thought it's only supported in MQSI. Is that true ?

Thanks in advance.

Sky
udaybho
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

In my opinion you are comparing apple and oranges when you are comparing distributed queuing and Pub/sub.

Distributed Queuing and Clustering are the two design approaches to make Queue managers talk to each other. Distributed Queueing is good if you have just two Queue Managers. If the number of Queue Managers are going to grow or you have more then two queue manager, I personally would recommend to go by clustering way.

Once you decide Distributed or Clustering, then depending on your application requirements you may choose Pub/Sub or Point to Point.

>How can I guarantee msg is stored in Q2 in this case ? Is guarantee
>delivery part of native MQ protocol or it's additional protocol from other
>vendors/products ?

Once message is delivered to MQ then its assured that your message will be delivered. I personally buy MQ for this assurance.

>Can it have any performance gain over the distributed queueing
>approach ?

You are asking between Pub/Sub and distributed and as I explained above it would be a wrong comparision.

>Does the MQ5.2 have pub/sub implementation ? I thought it's only
>supported in MQSI. Is that true ?

If you are looking for PUb/Sub solutions, you can use either of the two. As a long term solution, I will recommend MQSI. With MQ5.2 you have to use MA0C pack to enable Pub/Sub

Your case as I understand, is more point to point not pub/sub.

Uday Bhosle

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Design Issue: pub/sub vs. distributed queueing
Jump to: