ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » WS-ReliableMessaging

WS-ReliableMessaging « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sclarke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: WS-ReliableMessaging Reply with quote

Apprentice

I have a really naive question about WS-ReliableMessaging and obviously don't understand the standard well and yes I can read the standard but I wanted some help. Does WS-ReliableMessaging rely only on http acks or does it/should it use a transport such as mq to make sure the messages get to where they need to go. My architect says no mq involved....

Thanks
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this: Web Services Reliable Messaging Protocol
(WS-ReliableMessaging)http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/specs/ws-rm/ws-reliablemessaging200502.pdf
sclarke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

I have previously read this but I am still confused about the implementation. It says the delivery is dependent on delivery assurance which implies to me that the receiver sends an acknowledgement that it got the message and so it implies to me - no mq just acknowledgements (I said I was naive). So if this is the correct understanding, say I run a webservice which sends a message which has information which should only be applied once, the receiver sends the ack but because of network problems, the sender doesn't get that so it raises an error and/or sends again. Does the receiver have to know to not apply that message and wait for the next? This just seems kludgy unless I am completely missing the boat. Does this take mq out of the picture?
ourtown
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

Web Services Reliable Messaging Protocol is an extension to SOAP and WSDL

>>>>>>>>>>
The protocol is described in this specification in a transport-independent manner allowing it to be implemented using different network technologies. To support interoperable Web services, a SOAP binding is defined within this specification.
<<<<<<<<<<

It defines the handshakes necessary to deliver messages reliably
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

The standard appears to describe communications between RM Source and RM Receiver with absolutely no preconceived notions or requirements on what transport those communications are being made across.

It looks like WS-Reliable messages are just XML Documents, like SOAP messages are just XML documents. So you can send those over HTTP as easily as you can dump them in a queue.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And reliable messaging implies that the applications at both sending and receiving end must be able to deal with messages not delivered and duplicate messages delivered.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General Discussion » WS-ReliableMessaging
Jump to: