ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Tibco request/response

Tibco request/response « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
omhopper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Tibco request/response Reply with quote

Novice

We've been working on a Tibco application that sends requests via MQ to the mainframe (so no MQRFH2), then waits for the response using the Correlation ID as the message selector. I don't have much insight into the Tibco environment, other than they're using one of the JMS adapters.

As for the MQ environment, it's 6.0.2.1 on Windows and V6 for z/OS.

The problem is, the response is coming back and seems to be read from the queue, but not being completely consumed. The Tibco engine starts complaining about timeouts (even though the response was sent in plenty of time). When the Tibco developers shut down the system, the messages are available for reading on the queue again, as if they're being rolled back. (Is the listener browsing the message, checking the Correlation ID, then not handling the message correctly?)

They've worked around the problem by setting up a listener that just consumes all the messages, then publishes them to different topics within Tibco's messaging system. I just think that they should be able to get by Correlation ID without this apparent conflict.

Anyone have experience with this scenario? Tips or suggestions?
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Maybe the Tibco listener is not committing a transaction.
omhopper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

That's what I'm thinking, but if the message is not read, i.e. Tibco does not acknowledge that the message was received, I would think that the adapter should put the message back on the queue?

I don't really think this is an MQ issue, I'm hoping that someone here has experience working with the Tibco adapters/architecture and can offer some tips that I can give to the developers. I would know how to look through the code if I could see it, but the use of an "adapter" keeps all that hidden.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Why should the listener be browsing the message and checking for the correlId.
I'd set up a receive with time out and selector that consumes the message if it is there -- no browsing.

Remember if you set up a listener with the selector it is only good until you need to change the correlId ... so this calls for a receive and no listener with onMessage method...

Enjoy
omhopper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Ok. You seem to have confirmed what I was thinking. I tried asking them why they would set up a listener on a response queue, but could not get a good answer.

My thinking was, send your request then go get the response as necessary. There's no reason to have a listener active all the time.

I don't have insight into how the adapter is working, or even just what the adapter settings are. We were able to see that they were generating 20+ connections to the queue, and that the messages were being put on the queue and taken off the queue. The Tibco team just couldn't tell us what was happening to the messages.

Because it's an adapter, with no visibility into the source code, I can only guess at what it's doing behind the sceness. I don't even know if the selection criteria (in this case correlid) is being passed as the JMS selector or if some other process is doing the selection.

Thanks for taking a look. If anyone is in a position to explain just what the Tibco adapters are really doing, please add it to the board so I can go to the developers and make suggestions. I just don't have the authority, or the knowledge of their tools, to tell them to stop what they're doing.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Just to be clear: That wasn't taking a look
Just plain old JMS logic.

You can write beautiful JMS applications that are really fast or you can s%^#! them up beyond recognition and functionality....

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » Tibco request/response
Jump to: