ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Clustering or MQI Channels

Clustering or MQI Channels « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
udaybho
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 2:41 pm    Post subject: Clustering or MQI Channels Reply with quote

Voyager

We have a situtation where we have 50 -100 Client threads or Processes (on a AIX box A) are opeing MQI channels to remote queue Manager on another AIX box B.

The problem is that MQI channel stops creating after a magic count (usually around 60). Is there a way to increase this count ?

Another solution I am working on is to run a Local Queue Manager on AIX box A and cluster it with AIX Box B. What you think of this soultion ? In this case I have to run Box A with more overhead.

Is there any other possible solution ?

Thanks

Uday Bhosle
nimconsult
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

You can change the max number of channels by editing the qm.ini file (located in the directory of the queue manager you want to change, something like /var/mqm/qmgrs/yourQM/qm.ini). Change the MaxChannels and MaxActiveChannels attributes to an appropriate value (eg 256).

About your question on creating a local queue manager and link it to your server queue manager with a cluster, some comments:
- because your applications will connect to a local queue manager they will only be able to put messages on the server queue manager, and not get messages anymore. If you want to get messages, you will have to change the topology (location of the server queues).
- although a cluster is ok, you have other simple solutions:
alternative 1. The easiest one. Define a queue manager alias on your local queue manager. Example: define qremote(mqs) rqmname(mqs) xmitq(xq.mqs).
alternative 2. If you have a small number of services, you can define remote queues on your local queue manager. Example: define qremote(q.service1) rqmname(mqs) rname(q.service1) xmitq(xq.mqs).

Regards,

NIMCONSULT Software Architecture Services (Belgium)
http://www.nimconsult.be
udaybho
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Nicolas,

Thanks for your suggestion:

I am looking for advice as which way is better, having a Local Queue Manager Or MQI Channels to Remote Queue Manager. I did not mentioned in my first post that my AIX BOX A is running Websphere.

In both the alternatives I need to have MQSeries on AIX Box A. I do not have any problem with that, as it is only additional MQ processes I have to run on BOX A. The Box A is Websphere Box and I learned (not confirmed) that IBM allows you to install and run MQ Series FREE if you have license for WebSphere.

Alternative 1 and Alternative 2 both comes under Distributed Queue Manager Topology and as Enterprise direction I will go with Cluster. Trying to keep less Administration overhead.

I understand the limitation you pointed out if I use Cluster and I have to consider these limitations as mine is Req/reply scenario. I may have to move my Reply queue to Local Queue Manager on BOX A.

Thanks for participating in this discussion.

Uday Bhosle

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Clustering or MQI Channels
Jump to: