ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » WMQ V6.0 - Multiple Workspaces ?

WMQ V6.0 - Multiple Workspaces ? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Nick Lethbridge
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: WMQ V6.0 - Multiple Workspaces ? Reply with quote

Voyager

In comparing V5.3 to V6.0, it appears that the .msc files don't have an equivalent in the new version ?

I currently use a number of .msc files, to enable me to only view queue managers associated with specific system environments (Development, System Test, User Acceptance Test, Production, etc...). I then open the appropriate .msc file (from within WMQ Explorer) when I need to check/configure a particular environment.

I tried to create different Perspectives in V6.0, but that didn't work...

Ditto, with different Views.

I wondered if I could create multiple workspaces (we do a similar thing with WBIMB for different system environments).

Has anyone got any views on this approach (or ideas of a better approach) ?

Regards,
Nick.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Multiple workspaces is the only way to go, I think.

But I think you will always see any local queue managers.

Is it really that much of a help, to have the different environments separated out?
Nick Lethbridge
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Hi Jeff,

I'm not too worried about local queue managers appearing in the Navigator View (I get that with the .msc files, if I create a test queue manager on my PC).

We have 10-20 queue managers per environment, for approx 10 environments.

I could lump then all together, but it was a big help with V5.3 to be able to "home in" on the particular environment (and filter out the rest).

Also, the .msc used to "remember" that I preferred to order the queue display by Current Depth (i.e. queues that contained any messages were at the top of the list). I'm not sure if the new version of WMQ Explorer can be configured in a similar way (in fairness, I haven't checked out filtering in the Content View, or Customize Perspective yet....) ?

Regards,
Nick.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

The perspective does save the Filters and sort orders and that kind of thing. And it does let you reorganize columns, so you can put the sensible stuff near the queue name - OIC, IIC, CURDEPTH, etc.
hal
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

In WebSphere MQ 6 different environment perspectives are preserved in zip files instead of msc files.

To save a specific WebSphere MQ queue manager environment (production, development, staging, etc.) right click on the "IBM WebSphere MQ" entry on the top left corner of the WebSphere MQ Explorer - Navigator. Select "Export MQ Explorer Settings.." and browse to save your environment in a zip file.

To retrieve a previously saved WebSphere MQ queue manager environment, right click on "IBM WebSphere MQ" and select "Import MQ Explorer settings..." Here's where the fun starts. You are prompted with "Are you sure you want to import new settings that will overwrite the current settings? This operation cannot be undone (AMQ4138)" Click the "Yes" button and another dialog pops up: "WebSphere MQ has successfully imported your settings. (You must restart WebSphere MQ Explorer to apply the imported settings.) (AMQ4187)" Select the OK button and the WebSphere MQ Explorer vanishes. (In the WebSphere MQ 6.0 baseline version you must explicity exit from the Explorer tool; the behavior I am describing is with CSD01 6.0.1.0)

Indeed, the next time you restart the WebSphere MQ Explorer your last selected environment is shown. When I complained to IBM about all this rigamarole they told me that it was an artifact of the Eclipse framework. Note that you can have only one instance of the new WebSphere MQ Explorer up at a time.

Last edited by hal on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Toronto_MQ
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

I agree that this is a brutal way of managing different environments. So bad, in fact, that we opened a PMR with IBM, and eventually a DCR.

Who knows if anything will ever come of it? I certainly hope so...

Cheers
Steve
Nick Lethbridge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Agreed, so far I'm a bit "underwhelmed" by V6.0....

Apart from the ability to "destructive MQGET" (hooray, no more "object is open" messages), it seems less user friendly.

You can no longer double click on the queue and look at a text dump of the message body (useful to cut and paste into emails, etc.), you now have to right click and browse the queue (seems to take longer ?), then you can only view a hex dump of the message contents.

There seems a lot of "Eclipse overhead" (not sure how often you would need to "Compare" a queue with another one ?), but the useful functionality seems to have decreased.

Ho hum, perhaps I'll get used to it with use....

Nick.
jefflowrey
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Poobah

Well, you no longer have to remember if you need to access/change a property from the MQExplorer MMC or from the MQServices MMC...

You can now properly manage all QMs from one IBM supplied console, including at least v6 z/OS Qmgrs (although I'm sure the mainframers will say that it's not "proper" management if you can't adjust pagesets... ).

And you can see the text representation of a message if you double-click on it in the list - and the "Message Data" column doesn't seem to be a "hex dump of the message contents" to me.

And you can now put test messages to Remote Queues...

Also, different workspaces definitely allows you to store different configurations. Granted, it kind of requires a reboot of Eclipse to switch.
Nick Lethbridge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voyager

Fair point about the Message Data row, but messages with embedded CR/LF characters are a bit tricky to view on one line...

(Although, if you CTRL/C and paste it into a Notepad window it looks ok).
Toronto_MQ
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Quite frankly I'm super glad they got rid of the MQServices MMC. I don't know how many calls I've fielded from operations/applications saying "my channel is stopped" - when in fact it is simply an MQ channel *service* that is stopped - and only because the service tried to kick the channel after MQ retry logic had already started it. The whole channel service thing was a problem from the start for us...

That was one of my pet peeves. We even considered disabling the MQServices from people so they would learn *not* to look there.

Steve

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » WMQ V6.0 - Multiple Workspaces ?
Jump to: