ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Call Package (Oracle) from Mapping Node?

Call Package (Oracle) from Mapping Node? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Call Package (Oracle) from Mapping Node? Reply with quote

Grand Master

Hi,

Has anyone faced a scenario where 'Packages' of Oracle Database (v11) is called from Mapping Node [ of WebSphere Message Broker v8 ] to update one or more rows in a table, based on input message?

Where, 'Packages' has got lots many functions in it, and out of those Mapping node needs to call one function to get the Table updated.

Its like..
Package.functname(parameter1,parameter2) and that function return the integer value after successful update to the Table.

I don't see an option to select the 'package' as we do select the database 'Table' using graphical mapping.

(At present its a kind of requirement to use Mapping node and call that Package Function, instead of directly updating the Table or options.)

Any suggestion?

smdavies99
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow this side of Never-never land.

Aren't packages just Oracle's way of describing Stored Procedures?

(been a while since I used Oracle)

If this is correct then defining them in the normal way may (as an external function) well work if you are calling them from ESQL. If you are using JAVA then I really haven't a clue how to define them (Java is a black hole as far as I'm concerned)

Every time you reinvent the wheel the more square it gets (anon). If in doubt think and investigate before you ask silly questions.
Simbu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Hi shashivarungupta, if I'm correct WMB 8 doesn't support this feature of calling stored procedure from Mapping node. IIB 9 has this feature but it is only for DB2 stored procedure and not for Oracle.

As smdavies suggested, you may have to use ESQL or JAVA.
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

smdavies99 wrote:
Aren't packages just Oracle's way of describing Stored Procedures?

Yup, AFAIK.

Code:

Oracle says:
A package is a schema object that groups logically related PL/SQL types, variables, and subprograms. Packages usually have two parts, a specification (called the spec) and a body; sometimes the body is unnecessary. The specification is the interface to the package. It declares the types, variables, constants, exceptions, cursors, and subprograms that can be referenced from outside of the package. The body defines the queries for the cursors and the code for the subprograms.

Also in DB2, here they talk about Packages, but I think that totally different from what they have in Oracle. (Here I am not the Database Professional and I am not supposed to make comparisons between Packages of different products).

I'll try using ESQL .. so, PASSTHRU would do in that case?

Or CALL Statement to invoke the external database packaged function that returns a value.

Last edited by shashivarungupta on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nelson
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

You can invoke your Oracle SP this way:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_9.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/ac17040_.htm
phanish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi,

The link is to call an oracle SP from esql.Is it possible to invoke a Stored Procedure from a MAP,in IIB9,by inputting a value from the request,which has to be looked up in the Database table and return a column value? Can this be done using the DSN configured.
mqjeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

phanish wrote:
Hi,

The link is to call an oracle SP from esql.Is it possible to invoke a Stored Procedure from a MAP,in IIB9,by inputting a value from the request,which has to be looked up in the Database table and return a column value? Can this be done using the DSN configured.

You can use whatever database functions exist in the mapping node.

This does not include calling databases from a custom ESQL procedure being called by a map.

Last I knew, the map only supported insert, update, and delete, but not call. But that's unreliable compared to the correct documentation.
nelson
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

phanish wrote:
Hi,

As Simbu said before :

Simbu wrote:
IIB 9 has this feature but it is only for DB2 stored procedure and not for Oracle.
shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

phanish wrote:
The link is to call an oracle SP from esql....

And yes.. that works. You need to have ODBC connection to achieve that. (I used Compute Node)

phanish wrote:
... Can this be done using the DSN configured.

(ODBC Connection)SYSTEM DSN configuration is required to CALL the Procedure/Function (may be of Oracle).
Before you CALL, you must have to Create Procedure or Function.

shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Simbu wrote:

As smdavies suggested, you may have to use ESQL or JAVA.

And since I have applied the suggestion [suggestion that's within broker's limitations, in v8] .. I was wondering from the prespective of database configuration on different platforms (other than Windows, could be Linux/Solaris/AIX) and from solution artitechtural perspective.. what monitoring tools are supplied to check the odbc connections (over Oracle db) when Message Broker makes a call to it (via odbc)?

I know its bit inclined towards database, but wanted to hear your peace of thoughts, if you've came across or known or thought about it.

( Sorry for bringing this up again )

And Thanks once again.

shashivarungupta
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

As a response to this not very old post.. refer following link shared by IBM to understand the Broker/IIB behaviour over ODBC connections (managed by broker itself)...
Here

Hope this will help other mqseries.net users as well. Thanks.

martinb
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

Found this thread high in a search result list .. so to bring it up to date

As of IIB 10.0.0.3

http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bb23851_.htm%23v10003__gdm?lang=en

"In IBM Integration Bus Version 10.0 fix pack 3, support for stored procedures is extended so that you can also call a stored procedure from an Oracle database"

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Call Package (Oracle) from Mapping Node?
Jump to: