ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Messages staying on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE (again!)

Messages staying on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE (again!) « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
TonyD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Messages staying on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE (again!) Reply with quote

Knight

This has just started happening on an AIX machine (our Development machine), MQ 5.2, CSD6. We have been running 8 queue managers (2 separate development environments each with a 3 QM cluster) on the machine for some time without this happening. We just added four new queue managers (a new environment) and almost immediately started to get messages sitting on the TRANSMIT queues in a couple of the old queue managers (not the new ones). Nothing in the error logs.
To move the messages we have been starting the cluster sender channels from the MQ Explorer 'Cluster Queue Managers' display where one can see the automatically created channels. We stop the channels and then start them, they go to 'Starting' and stay in that status, never going to 'Running', but the messages move from the Transmit queue. I have noticed that simply displaying the Channel Status of the channels is sufficient to make the channel status go from 'Inactive' to 'Starting', but the messages stay on the Transmit queue.
I know this thread has been raised before (I did myself 18 months ago running under 5.1!), but am surprised that it is still happening at the 5.2/CSD6 level. IBM's response is to run the channels continuously which is hardly diagnosing and repairing the problem.
We are moving to 5.3 in the near future and the problem may go away. However I think we have been hearing for some time that if you go to a new release/CSD the problem will go away, but this is an unsatisfactory situation since we don't know how to recreate the problem, and therefore how to verify that it has been fixed.
I would be interested to know if other users still experience this problem, what MQ levels you are on, whether you have been able to work out what causes this behaviour, and how you have dealt with it to avoid disruption in production environments.
mqonnet
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

If for some reason the channels from the repository queue manager to the non-repos qms are not up and running or started, then you would find messages piling up on the repos qm cluster tq. These are cluster messages that are sent accross to non-repos qms to update their cache.

And since in your case the channels were not in running state, you find them still around in the xmitq.

Dont know why the channels wont come up. Check the names, connames, port, listeners running. Anything in the error logs.

If this doesnt help, then post your channel defs and the configuration, how many repos qms, how many non-repos.

Cheers
Kumar
Michael Dag
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Messages staying on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE (again!) Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

yeah this cluster transmit queue is a real mystery.
we had the same problem on 5.1 then moved to 5.2 and it stayed way for a long time, currently we are on 5.2 CSD 5 (Solaris) and the problem is re occurring! We have a call open to IBM support but they have not been able to pinpoint the problem.
fortunately it hasn't progressed into our production environment, but still a pain.

Is your channel also an automically generated one?

Michael
jennifer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
We have a similar problem .. which gets rectified by starting the cluster queue manager channel starting.. we started getting this error .. all of a sudden.. !! We are on AIX communicating with a qmgr on windows (part of cluster). Did somebody get some clue on this issue..or is IBM is working on this?

jen
TonyD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

Jen,
This thread says how we solved the problem. I have no idea how the duplicate definitions happened but they could be seen by using 'amqrfdm' or with 'DIS CLUSQMGR':

http://www.mqseries.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9402&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

However this may not be applicable in your case...the problem seems to happen in varying situations!.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Sometimes, you can figure out why the messages are stuck by seeing where they want to go. Browse the XMIT queue and look at the headers to see where they are trying to get to.

Since moving to 5.3, I have not seen the problem. (It'll probably show up tomorrow now that I jinxed myself).
py38
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Messages staying on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE (again!) Reply with quote

This is happening on WMQ 5.3 on CSD4 in AIX.
After amqsput a message on the remote clustered queue, the sdr channel to that remote clustered qmgr starts up, and messages then cleared up in the system xmit q.
IBM mentioned that under certain circumstances the channel won't automatically start if a message is sent under syncpoint control.
The reason amqsput enables the channel to start is because this program puts messages outside of syncpoint control, and therefore does not use the same mechanism to start the channel.
There's not a fix to this yet.
nyey
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Msgs stuck in xmit Q Reply with quote

Acolyte

All: This happens to me with MQ 5.3 CSD 4 on AIX and NT.

When we run our MQ with low load, it is ok for a while or high load with shorter time. Then I have msgs pile up there in the xmit Q.

This does not happen to me on MQ 5.2 CSD 6 though.

Any more inputs?
py38
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBM supplied a fix replacing the mqm/lib/libmqml_r.a. Messages are no longer stuck in the cluster xmit q.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Clustering » Messages staying on SYSTEM.CLUSTER.TRANSMIT.QUEUE (again!)
Jump to: