ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » JDBC unit-of-work/commit question

JDBC unit-of-work/commit question « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
PaulMraz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Looks like I need to use JDBC to explicitly commit my JDBC inserts/updates to our Oracle database tables, for my Java/MQI application (on Windows/NT server, base Java/MQI, no threads, nothing fancy).

I noticed that on a fatal exception, I'm getting the message rolled back to the queue (SYNCPOINT option on and using MQI commit and backout), but any database tables updated through JDBC are NOT being rolled back. I'm just now reading how auto-commit is the default for JDBC, but can be turned off and explicit commit/rollback can be issued... IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does the commit have to be issued in the SAME JDBC database connection, or can the unit of work SPAN SEVERAL JDBC connections?

Reason being, the application was written in multiple classes (one for each major table insert/update), each with its own connection, prepared statements, executeupdate, and close connection. What we NEED to do is have several of these span a unit of work, finally doing a commit (or rollback) when ALL of the inserting/updating is complete.

Anyone know if this is possible, that an explicit commit (after auto-commit has been disabled) can follow several connect/execute update/close sessions?

Thanks,
Paul
PaulMraz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Addendum:

Is it possible for the above scenario to work, if I do not explicitly close the JDBC database connection between the inserts/updates to the different tables?

In other words, will the connection stay open if I do not close it between invocations of each class that updates a separate table? I notice that each class which updates a separate Oracle table performs a JDBC connection, but does not perform a close to that connection...

Could one connection be performed, then disable the auto-commit, then update one table; then have subsequent update classes not close the connection nor perform an open before/after those JDBC updates; then do an explicit JDBC commit (or rollback), and all updates will have remained in the same unit of work?

It seems this could work; I'm just concerned about the JDBC connection being IMPLICITLY closed unwantedly, upon or after the prepared update statement is closed in any given update class, or upon exit from the class that contained that code.

Could anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Paul

[ This Message was edited by: PaulMraz on 2001-11-29 13:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: PaulMraz on 2001-11-29 13:44 ]
middlewareonline
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

One UOW can NOT span multiple connections/sessions.

MiddlewareOnline.COM

A "SARVAM" Online Portal
http://www.SARVAM.com
---------------------------------------------
PaulMraz
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hmmm... if a UOW cannot span several connection sessions, would it likely work if I were to put the JDBC connection command into the main module, but have all the called (static) methods (which are in separate classes) perform the actual prepared statement commands (i.e., INSERT, UPDATE, etc.)?

I guess here I'm asking if the connection will span calls to static methods in other classes, and retain the unit of work, if the session connection command were put in the main calling method?

(all the examples I've seen show the connect command, disable of autocommit, the prepared statement execute, the commit, and rollback within the same method; it's not intuitively obvious to me if the session connect and commit/rollback can be in the calling method, while putting the prepared statement execute logic in methods which are in other classes)

Thanks,
Paul
middlewareonline
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte

As long as you pass along the same connection handle (session) you can implement prepare in as many functions/classes as you like and do the UOW.

Rajesh
MiddlewareOnline.COM

A "SARVAM" Online Portal
http://www.SARVAM.com
---------------------------------------------
PaulMraz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

OK... I've put the connect, commit/rollback, and connection close into the main calling module, and have taken the connect and close out of the individual called class methods.
(and set AutoCommit to false after connecting, in the calling module).

The changes all compiled fine, but... now it's telling me "Logical handle no longer valid" when I get to the called modules to attempt to executeUpdate of the JDBC prepared statements. Not sure why I'm getting this error; I declared the connection as public static in the calling module, and referenced that connection object by the calling class's name in the called method.

Anyone that could help out with advice here?

Thanks,
Paul
PaulMraz
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

After further review... I found the problem to the "Logical handle no longer valid".

Although I was careful to not open or close the connection other than in the main calling module, several of the called modules had a getNextKey call in them. They did not reference the existing connection, but apparently were the culprit making the existing connection handle invalid. I now do all the required getNextKeys first, before commencing the unit of work connection. (This may result in some keys being reserved then going unused, but I'm not seeing any alternative...)

Now, on to testing that the JDBC rollback actually will work!

- Paul

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Java / JMS » JDBC unit-of-work/commit question
Jump to: