ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB Version 9 How to Generate compressed file

IIB Version 9 How to Generate compressed file « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
proton
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: IIB Version 9 How to Generate compressed file Reply with quote

Novice

HI Folks,

I am working on a requirement where the application team wants us to generate compressed file. The concerns are because of file sizes and looking for a ways to achieve this. I am positive it can done by JCN (which its been time using it), please advise me if we generate compressed file using the nodes and esql. Just for testing used a FileOuput node and in the file name kep test.zip , the flow dint thrown any errors and generated the file and also the file size is reduced by 20%. Thought it was done but the whole thing started when the file is not extracting. I tried to extract using winrar and also 7 zip. Getting the Error message as

" Can not open the file as [zip] archive Is not archive" .

Kindly suggest if it can be done by V10.

Thanks,
Proton.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

20% is not much of a reduction in file size. Its probably not worth the effort. If you think of future growth, it may soon overrun this reduction in transmitted file size, and you have not gained anything in the long term.

For compression to be worthwhile, the reduction should be at least 50%, with 80% a reasonable target.
proton
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

gbaddeley wrote:
20% is not much of a reduction in file size. Its probably not worth the effort. If you think of future growth, it may soon overrun this reduction in transmitted file size, and you have not gained anything in the long term.

For compression to be worthwhile, the reduction should be at least 50%, with 80% a reasonable target.

Thank you and I truly agree with you. Please let me know if you think of any way of generating a compressed file. Kindly please be noted , it was one of those application team requirement..
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

proton wrote:
...Please let me know if you think of any way of generating a compressed file. Kindly please be noted , it was one of those application team requirement..

There are many compression algorithms. Depending on your data, some may compress more than others.

I would query the application team requirement. What is their justification? Have they done analysis on the cost vs benefit in saving network bandwidth and storage, and increased CPU and elapsed time, compared to not compressing the file.

Unless the files are large (eg >100MB) and can compress to quite small (eg <10MB), generally it won't be worth the overhead and extra processing to do compression / uncompression.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB Version 9 How to Generate compressed file
Jump to: