ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure?

Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
pcelari
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure? Reply with quote

Chevalier

Greetings ...

during a recent storage upgrade, one of our multi-instance QM's system queues got damaged and had to be recreated. The QM seems to be running fine, but occasionally it throws segmentation faults for no clear reason.

My question is, can a QM carry hidden damage during a failure but still function normally most of the time?

If this could be the case, maybe we need to recreate the QM.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure? Reply with quote

Poobah

pcelari wrote:
Greetings ...

during a recent storage upgrade, one of our multi-instance QM's system queues got damaged and had to be recreated. The QM seems to be running fine, but occasionally it throws segmentation faults for no clear reason.

What is the it that throws segmentation faults? Is there an error message from MQ? An application error? Post error messages here.

How did the queues get damaged? How did you recreate them?
pcelari
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure? Reply with quote

Chevalier

bruce2359 wrote:

MQ error logs points out to damaged queue name, so we deleted the queue and then used a backup from a day earlier to recreate the queue. I wonder if the qmgr should have been recreated.

BTW, if I shutdown a qmgr, backup all data directory, delete and recreate the qmgr, use a backup mqsc script to recreate the objects, then restore data from the backup, would that make any difference, i.e. remove any hidden damage in the qmgr?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure? Reply with quote

Poobah

pcelari wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

MQ error logs points out to damaged queue name, so we deleted the queue and then used a backup from a day earlier to recreate the queue. I wonder if the qmgr should have been recreated.

BTW, if I shutdown a qmgr, backup all data directory, delete and recreate the qmgr, use a backup mqsc script to recreate the objects, then restore data from the backup, would that make any difference, i.e. remove any hidden damage in the qmgr?

Nearly all of the damaged objects I've run into were caused by someone with admin authority messing with the queue-holding file system. You should never change rwx bits anywhere in the MQ file system. You should never navigate down the MQ file systems IBM installation creates.

Issuing the mqsc command to delete the damaged object, then redefine it usually works. Restoring the filesystem would re-introduce the damaged file system. No need to re-create the qmgr.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

bruce2359 wrote:
pcelari wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:

Nearly all of the damaged objects I've run into were caused by someone with admin authority messing with the queue-holding file system. You should never change rwx bits anywhere in the MQ file system. You should never navigate down the MQ file systems IBM installation creates.

Issuing the mqsc command to delete the damaged object, then redefine it usually works. Restoring the filesystem would re-introduce the damaged file system. No need to re-create the qmgr.

And if you're lucky enough to use linear logging a simple recover mq object (rcrmqobj) command will do...

Last edited by fjb_saper on Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

pcelari wrote:
Greetings ...

How exactly did you backup the queue? Exactly how you restore it?

Post the segmentation fault error message here.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Could qmgr carry hidden damage after a storage failure?
Jump to: