ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os

Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os Reply with quote

Jedi Council

We have a MQ sender/receiver channel pair to another QM - one end is z/OS MQ v9.0 and the other end is z/OS MQ v9.1

It's high volume (hundreds per second) and currently secured with the TLS 1.2 cipher TLS_RSA_WITH_AES_256_CBC_SHA256

The average request message on the sender channel is small (about 2kb) and the average response message is medium size (about 32kb).

Now, if we changed the cipher to ECDHE_RSA_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 - what would be the likely effect on CHIN CPU usage on the z/OS v9.0 side?

Support pac MP16 doesn't really provide any info on this newer GCM cipher.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

AES 128 GCM is faster than AES 256 CB, so CPU might go down a bit. Does z/OS use hardware for AES crypto?

The ECDHE RSA and SHA256 parts of the spec are only used for initialization. Once the session private keys are established at each end, the AES part is free running on the data payload.
zpat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Thanks for that. Yes I assume that z/OS 2.3 on a z/14 will use the cryptographic processor.

In fact the CHIN needs RACF read access to a resource in the CSFSERV class for the GCM cipher to work at all so it must use it.
tczielke
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

From what I have read, CBC (Cipher Block Chaining) has to be performed sequentially, while GCM (Galois Counter Mode) can be performed in parallel. This should lead to better performance with GCM, but I would of course confirm that with testing, consulting your security experts, etc.

I would also recommend double checking with IBM if this blurb below for GCM under TLS 1.2 does apply to z/OS. This blurb used to be about a NIST restriction of 2^32 TLS records being sent under TLS 1.2, and then was changed to another GCM restriction that was raised in the TLS 1.3 specification and has to do with 2^24.5 TLS records being sent under TLS 1.2. If z/OS is not resetting the symmetric keys for GCM before 2^24.5 TLS records are sent, then I would think this GCM restriction DOES apply to z/OS for TLS 1.2.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_9.1.0/com.ibm.mq.sec.doc/q014260_.htm

Quote:
Following a recommendation by GSKit, TLS 1.2 GCM CipherSpecs have a restriction which means that after 2ˆ24.5 TLS records are sent, using the same session key, the connection is terminated with message AMQ9288.
To prevent this error from happening: avoid using TLS 1.2 GCM Ciphers, enable secret key reset, or start your IBM MQ queue manager or client with the environment variable GSK_ENFORCE_GCM_RESTRICTION=GSK_FALSE set.

This restriction does not apply to IBM MQ for z/OS®.

bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Moving this to mainframe forum.
zpat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

That restriction does not apply to z/OS MQ, already checked with the support center.
tczielke
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

You should see evidence then of key resets when more than 2^24.5 TLS records are sent at TLS 1.2 on Z with a GCM cipher. I see that happening with TLS 1.3 on distributed with GCM ciphers. Something worth validating.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os Reply with quote

Poobah

zpat wrote:
It's high volume (hundreds per second) ...

Not to quibble, but on a midrange platform hundreds per second might be high message volume. On z/OS monoplex, thousands per second might be high volume. If parallel sysplex, tens of thousands might be considered high volume.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os Reply with quote

Jedi

bruce2359 wrote:
zpat wrote:

Not to quibble, but on a midrange platform hundreds per second might be high message volume. On z/OS monoplex, thousands per second might be high volume. If parallel sysplex, tens of thousands might be considered high volume.

It might be.... An appropriately specced midrange server can do amazing things. Every platform has its place.

For planning purposes, anything over 50-100 messages a second can be considered high volume, where multiple factors outside of MQ have a bearing on achieving performance.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os Reply with quote

Poobah

gbaddeley wrote:
bruce2359 wrote:
zpat wrote:

It might be.... An appropriately specced midrange server can do amazing things. Every platform has its place.

For planning purposes, anything over 50-100 messages a second can be considered high volume, where multiple factors outside of MQ have a bearing on achieving performance.

Of course. I deliberately excluded non-MQ, components - like database accesses.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » Relative overhead of ciphers on MQ channels z/os
Jump to: