ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Messaging more than 100 MB

Messaging more than 100 MB « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
AlexSTAL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Messaging more than 100 MB Reply with quote

Good afternoon!
I apologize for the automatic translation of the message.

Please tell me, is it possible to send a message of more than 100 MB so that MQ performs segmentation (I use ActiveX)? Everywhere it is written that it is enough to use the value MQMF_SEGMENTATION_ALLOWED in the MsgFlag field, and MQ will do the rest.
I have a return code of 2010 MQRC_DATA_LENGTH_ERROR.

Or can you send a message of more than 100 MB using MQ only by breaking it into segments using the application?
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

The maximum size (length) of an MQ physical message is 100MB. An app can create a logical message that exceeds the 100MB limit by creating MessageGroup of physical messages. Read https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_9.1.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q023060_.htm
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

The 100MB physical limit was a decision made for MQ v1.0 and has remained unaltered since. These types of arbitrary limits are intentional, to make the designer think long and hard about any requirement to send more than 100MB in one MQ data entity. Large messages create extra demand on memory, CPU, disk and network.

In some situations, it is actually better to chunk the data into small messages based on smaller entities that often exist inside larger entities. Ideally, there should not be affinity between the chunks that will make the processing logic much more complicated (eg. needing to do marshalling or reassembly of data). IBM MFT is an example of doing this.

Also, the data should be analysed to identify wasted space, such as long runs of whitespace characters (eg. in fixed length fields), excessive use of delimeters or separator characters, or large numbers of empty XML elements. These should be minimised.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Also, what type of data needs 100MB plus? Not transactional data, would be my guess. Are you sending files? mp4's? binaries?
AlexSTAL
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sending XML generated by third-party software. 98% of files do not exceed 100 MB. But there are times when there is a lot of binary information in Base64 format inside.

I realized that I need to manually break it into pieces using segmentation mechanisms
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

AlexSTAL wrote:
I am sending XML generated by third-party software. 98% of files do not exceed 100 MB. But there are times when there is a lot of binary information in Base64 format inside.

I realized that I need to manually break it into pieces using segmentation mechanisms

That's inefficient on 2 fronts, XML and Base64. Can you break the XML up into smaller elements, and send each? Can you decode the Base64, store the BLOB in a shared file system, or DB, or separate message, and just send the XML with a reference to it ? This may be easier and certainly more elegant than implementing MQ message segements / grouping.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

A thought or two:

Have you tried suppressing so-called "insignificant XML whitespace?" This might reduce enough of the data to fit within the 100MB physical message size limit. This should not require app changes at the receiving end.

And/or can the data be zipped (pax'd, tar'd, cpio'd, ...) before placed into the message payload?

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Messaging more than 100 MB
Jump to: