ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multi instance Queue manager doesn't starts automatically.

Multi instance Queue manager doesn't starts automatically. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Multi instance Queue manager doesn't starts automatically. Reply with quote

Master

i have setup a multi instancing Queue manager in our domain, but i am facing issue with auto failover of Queue manager when i stop the machine with active instance. the standby instance of the queue manager goes into stopped state. and i have to start it manually.

can some one tell what i am missing here.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

How was each instance started on each server, specifically, which command did you use?
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

i used

strmqm -x QMGRName
ankur.024
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you bringing down the machine or active instance of QM? If you are stopping active instance of QM, what endmqm command are you using?
You have to use endmqm -s to failover to standby instance.

Run a amqmfsck test on both the QM instances.

Check the NFS version. It should be on NFSv4
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

You're looking at the wrong scapegoat.
This behavior is expected. If you failover the queue manager to the stand-by instance the instance that failed over will need a manual start to become again the stand by instance.

There a ways around that behavior, but they involve reacting to events or scheduling a repetitive task...
exerk
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
You're looking at the wrong scapegoat.
This behavior is expected. If you failover the queue manager to the stand-by instance the instance that failed over will need a manual start to become again the stand by instance.

There a ways around that behavior, but they involve reacting to events or scheduling a repetitive task...

I read the original post as "...when i stop the machine with active instance...", i.e. the server hosting the currently running queue manager instance is switched off, that "...the standby instance of the queue manager goes into stopped state...", i.e. the stand-by instance on the other server did not become the 'new' currently running queue manager instance but went from stand-by state to ended.

ankurlodhi, can you please clarify, thank you.
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

There a ways around that behavior, but they involve reacting to events or scheduling a repetitive task... [/quote]
I read the original post as "...when i stop the machine with active instance...", i.e. the server hosting the currently running queue manager instance is switched off, that "...the standby instance of the queue manager goes into stopped state...", i.e. the stand-by instance on the other server did not become the 'new' currently running queue manager instance but went from stand-by state to ended.

ankurlodhi, can you please clarify, thank you.[/quote]

Hi exerk

you got that right when i stop the virtual machine the currently active queue manager goes down with the machine and the stand by instance goes into ended immediately state. and recently we performed a crash testing where we the machine running the active instance of queue manager(machine A) was disconnected from network in this scenario the stand by instance of queue manager became active instance on the other machine(machine B). later on when we reconnected machine A to network and used the command strmqm -x QMGR the queue didn't came up as a stand by queue manager but instead started running as an individual queue manager.
exerk
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

ankurlodhi wrote:
...you got that right when i stop the virtual machine the currently active queue manager goes down with the machine and the stand by instance goes into ended immediately state...

Are you stopping the virtual machine in a controlled manner, or 'killing' it? If taking down the server in a controlled manner, does it gracefully end the queue manager first?

ankurlodhi wrote:
...and recently we performed a crash testing where the machine running the active instance of queue manager(machine A) was disconnected from network in this scenario the stand by instance of queue manager became active instance on the other machine(machine B)...

That sounds like it's working as advertised.

ankurlodhi wrote:
...later on when we reconnected machine A to network and used the command strmqm -x QMGR the queue didn't came up as a stand by queue manager but instead started running as an individual queue manager.

And in what state was the queue manager on machine B, because I can't reconcile that last statement? Only one instance can have file locks, therefore, only one instance can run - you can't have the two instances using the queue/log files at the same time.
ankurlodhi
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master

we shutdown the machine in a graceful manner, i think it is due to that the queue manager gets shutdown properly and switchover fails.

in the last statement it is exactly like i have mentioned, it might be due to because we are using DSFR instead of an NFS. which is replicating data between the shared folders.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

ankurlodhi wrote:
we shutdown the machine in a graceful manner, i think it is due to that the queue manager gets shutdown properly and switchover fails.

in the last statement it is exactly like i have mentioned, it might be due to because we are using DSFR instead of an NFS. which is replicating data between the shared folders.

Replication is bad because the locks don't get replicated fast enough or at all and when both instances of the qmgr are running at the same time they WILL corrupt the file system. And you better have linear logging to fix it.!!!

What you want is a truly shared file system where the locks will prevent the stand-by instance to start.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

fjb_saper wrote:
ankurlodhi wrote:

Replication is bad because the locks don't get replicated fast enough or at all and when both instances of the qmgr are running at the same time they WILL corrupt the file system. And you better have linear logging to fix it.!!!

What you want is a truly shared file system where the locks will prevent the stand-by instance to start.

What he said...

...because what you have is not (strictly speaking) a Multi-Instance queue manager!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Multi instance Queue manager doesn't starts automatically.
Jump to: