ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How are ESQL files compiled?

How are ESQL files compiled? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
nick12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: How are ESQL files compiled? Reply with quote

Novice

Is there any public information disclosed on how ESQL files get executed? Are they compiled to jvm bytecode? Are they compiled to native machine code? Is it run with an interpreter? Is it an interpreter with a JIT compiler? Does it just get transpiled to java? When does the compilation step happen? How long does it take? Are there any open source implementations of a way to run ESQL?

Also, does anyone have some non definitive personal experience with C# vs java vs ESQL performance?
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How are ESQL files compiled? Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

nick12 wrote:
Is there any public information disclosed on how ESQL files get executed?

No.

nick12 wrote:
Are they compiled to jvm bytecode?

No, they don't run in the JVM.

nick12 wrote:
Are they compiled to native machine code?

No

nick12 wrote:
Is it run with an interpreter?

Yes

nick12 wrote:
Is it an interpreter with a JIT compiler?

No

nick12 wrote:
Does it just get transpiled to java?

No; still doesn't run in the JVM

nick12 wrote:
When does the compilation step happen?

It doesn't

nick12 wrote:
How long does it take?

It doesn't

nick12 wrote:
Are there any open source implementations of a way to run ESQL?

No. ESQL is a proprietary language that only exists inside WMB / IIB / ACE

nick12 wrote:
Also, does anyone have some non definitive personal experience with C# vs java vs ESQL performance?

All of the compute languages within IIB / ACE have no discernable performance difference. The different languages exist principally to support developers comfortable in one language or another.

The principle cause of poor performance is poor code. It's as easy to write bad code inside IIB / ACE as it is in another other hosting language.
nick12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Well, sure, specially if we're talking web services, architecture is probably even more important. Regardless, I was just curious. If you decide to write a zip deflate decompressor in esql, knowing it is interpreted, I would guess it would be far slower than an equivalent implementation in C# or java. Regardless, I would not expect anyone to be doing anything like that.

Thanks for your answers!
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

nick12 wrote:
Well, sure, specially if we're talking web services, architecture is probably even more important.

Remember that a lot of thing you think of as code are not. Web service, in your example, are handled entirely by the IIB / ACE software and the user code in ESQL / Java or a Mapping node have no play in this. All of the socket and HTTP handshake is inside the IBM runtime and is not accessible to the user except through the configuration setting provided.

nick12 wrote:
Regardless, I was just curious.

Fair point.

nick12 wrote:
If you decide to write a zip deflate decompressor in esql, knowing it is interpreted, I would guess it would be far slower than an equivalent implementation in C# or java. Regardless, I would not expect anyone to be doing anything like that.

No. ESQL is a transformation & mapping language. The zip example you quote is the classic example use case for ESQL calling out to a Java procedure to perform a function.
nick12
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

> ESQL is a transformation & mapping language

Yes, I would think it a given that doing simple operations that are dwarfed in execution time by other things (such as I/O). I was asking in relation to computationally expensive tasks. Knowing it is interpreted, falling back for those to a more performant language is only logical.

Thank you!
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

nick12 wrote:
I was asking in relation to computationally expensive tasks. Knowing it is interpreted, falling back for those to a more performant language is only logical.

Include these in the benchmark test you mention in another thread. You may be surprised at the speed of ESQL in use cases you'd think it would perform badly.

Also remember to factor in the ease of development, maintainability and so forth.

Likewise if you have an integration with such a high performance requirement that milliseconds matter to that level, you may want to abandon IIB / ACE entirely and roll your own on a different platform.
timber
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Everything Vitor said is correct.

In addition to that, my advice is always to use ESQL for standard mapping/transformation/enrichment/routing tasks. If you need to implement a complex algorithm (esp. one that does not interact very much with the IIB message tree) then it's' not wrong to call out to Java from ESQL.

Don't fall into the trap of using Java instead of ESQL though. ESQL can do things that Java cannot when manipulating the message tree, and it's usually easier in ESQL too (once you've got the hang of the syntax).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » How are ESQL files compiled?
Jump to: