ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » A tale of two WAS servers

A tale of two WAS servers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zpat
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: A tale of two WAS servers Reply with quote

Jedi Council

WAS 7.0.0.43 contains MQ client 7.0.1.14

The channel status of a svrconn channel from this WAS to a QM confirm this version of MQ client in the RVERSION field.

However another WAS server at the same version of WAS connects and the svrconn channel status shows garbage characters in the RVERSION and RPRODUCT fields.

This suggests to me that old, buggy MQ jars are lurking around and have been incorporated into the application release somehow. These are being used for the connection in place of the proper WAS supplied MQ client.

However the support team can't find these other java classes - any clues on what they should look for and how/where to find them?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

hi...does RAPPLTAG display anything, usually it displays the application name and if you are lucky the jar file path (at least for jboss).

Also if all WAS processes are running using a WAS app id you could try listing all processes running as that app id on the client server...which should hopefully list out all WAS processes which usually will also have the config file paths used by those processes and then you can search for jar files in those folders.

Also is it not possible to do a global search for all *.jars configured on the client server via some global search or so (eg: 'find' in linux) which should then tell you the path where the MQ jars are deployed. Alternatively i think if it is known that WAS are using xml config files (or *.properties etc) to specify the MQ jars you could run targeted search (ie search for occurrences of '.jar' in *.xml files on the client server)
tczielke
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian

It WAS the best of times, it WAS the worst of times . . .

What platform is WAS running on? For example if it is Linux, you could use lsof to see what open files the WAS process is referencing. If it is Windows, you could use ProcessExplorer. Each platform usually has a tool like this to inspect the open files of a process.

Last edited by tczielke on Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Linux is the platform.

I don't have direct access to the host, but I can convey these suggestions to those who do - thanks.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/solving-ibm-mq-java-code-version-mismatches-using-mqjavalistsh-script#WebSphere

https://developer.ibm.com/answers/questions/251347/how-can-i-determine-the-version-of-ibm-mq-classes.html
zpat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

tczielke wrote:
It WAS the best of times, it WAS the worst of times . . .

Yes, that is very apt ...
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

Do both WAS use the same SVRCONN channel?

If not, what's the value of SHARECNV?
zpat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

They are attaching to different QMs. But the channel definition is the same and has a sharecnv value of 10.

RAPPLTAG just says "Websphere MQ client for java"
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

zpat wrote:
They are attaching to different QMs. But the channel definition is the same and has a sharecnv value of 10.

RAPPLTAG just says "Websphere MQ client for java"

I think this is always the same for MQv7 clients - IMHO this changed in version 8 or so, that the RAPPLTAG does contain some more detailed information about the Java App.

Did you check (and compare) the CLASSPATH parameter? May be there is an additional path with additional (corrupted?) JARs?

Did you compare the JAR files?

To find the JARs they could search with
Code:
find / -name "*com.ibm.mq.*.jar" 2>/dev/null

zpat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

This tale has a curious ending.

Turns out the "garbage" characters for RVERSION and RPRODUCT were actually ASCII characters being displayed as EBCDIC on the z/OS QM 7.1, after upgrading to z/OS MQ 9.0 the fields displayed correctly.

Very odd, especially as there is an APAR for something similiar with Omegamon

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1OA56988

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » A tale of two WAS servers
Jump to: