ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Channels, when to share, when not to share

Channels, when to share, when not to share « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Channels, when to share, when not to share Reply with quote

Apprentice

So we're a very small user of MQ, and we don't truly have an expert. My question is around MQI channels and if they should be "shared" by multiple clients, or if each client should have a unique channel. For example, in our dev/test/cert environment we have the same application running on multiple servers. Whoever decided on how to set up the channels decided that each server should have its own dedicated channel. On the other hand, for the next application all of the servers connect using the same channel. The channel is named after the application, but is not "segregated" by server.

Now that we're adding a third MQ using application I'm having trouble finding any good guidance on the matter. I'm interested in your thoughts. Thanks!
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

From a support point of view, it is far better for each application to have their own channel. Hence, if you ever have a problem with the application, you can stop the channel without affecting other applications connecting to the queue manager.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

RogerLacroix wrote:
From a support point of view, it is far better for each application to have their own channel. Hence, if you ever have a problem with the application, you can stop the channel without affecting other applications connecting to the queue manager.

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

That makes sense.

If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?
RogerLacroix
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Knight

fswarbrick wrote:
If the same application is, say, load balanced to several servers, its OK for them all to use the same channel?

Do you mean MI queue managers or between different clustered queue managers? You should have the same application setup across each unique MQ environment. i.e. DEV/QA/UAT/PROD

Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

RogerLacroix wrote:
fswarbrick wrote:

Do you mean MI queue managers or between different clustered queue managers? You should have the same application setup across each unique MQ environment. i.e. DEV/QA/UAT/PROD

One queue manager per environment, but multiple servers running the same application connecting to each QM.
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

fswarbrick wrote:
RogerLacroix wrote:
Regards,
Roger Lacroix
Capitalware Inc.

That makes sense.

If an app environment has load balanced MQ client connections across several different MQ queue managers, its normal and most practical to use the same channel name.

I agree with Roger, its standard best practice for each app to have their own MQI channel name.

Also, the name can include the environment. This lessens the chance that an app accidentally connects to the wrong environment. eg. MYAPP.DEV.SVRCONN, MYAPP.PROD.SVRCONN
A 20 character limit applies. '.SVRCONN' is actually superfluous, so can be left out, or appreviated to '.CL' or similar meaningful suffix.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

fswarbrick wrote:
RogerLacroix wrote:
fswarbrick wrote:

One queue manager per environment, but multiple servers running the same application connecting to each QM.

Serveral app servers connecting to the same QMgr may share the same channel. But you should think about the no. of channel instances. On distributed QMgrs the channels are limited too 100 active at the same time (total across all channel names). You shoudl think about

- increasing this number (in "qm.ini")
- limit the instances on channel base (using Attribute MAXINST)
- limit the instances on server/IP base (using Attribute MAXCINST)
fswarbrick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thanks all. I have options to consider.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

HubertKleinmanns wrote:

MAXINSTC limits the maximum instances of the channel from an individual client.
HubertKleinmanns
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaman

bruce2359 wrote:
HubertKleinmanns wrote:

MAXINSTC limits the maximum instances of the channel from an individual client.

1. You are correct, the Name is MAXINSTC, not MAXCINST (my fault).

2. An "individual client" means "individual IP" - MQ doesn't distinguish apps which come from the same IP (e. g. MQ Explorer and MQMON).

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Channels, when to share, when not to share
Jump to: