ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Migration of Integration Node to another OS

Migration of Integration Node to another OS « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Lone_Wanderer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Migration of Integration Node to another OS Reply with quote

I found myself in a situation, where we are migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Since we are skipping W8, it's not really a migration but rather a nuke and a clean install.

I need to migrate my current Integration Node instance and to do that, I thought about using mqsibackupbroker and mqsirestorebroker. The problem with this is that the documentation for that command states that it can be only used on same exact version of OS.

I theorize that this is because of possibly different paths in environment variables, however a cannot confirm this.

Do you have any experience with migrating a Node to different OS? And is there perhaps a different way of doing it other than mqsibackupbroker?

Kind regards
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

If you did everything according to book, you should have scripts for the creation of the infrastructure (Integration nodes, integration servers, configurable services ) and the deployment of your flows. Use them to rebuild this new infrastructure.
Lone_Wanderer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjb_saper wrote:
If you did everything according to book, you should have scripts for the creation of the infrastructure (Integration nodes, integration servers, configurable services ) and the deployment of your flows. Use them to rebuild this new infrastructure.

We took over this environment after a different company and unfortunately, these scripts and the knowledge associated has been lost to time. I wouldn't consider this migration if I had these scripts, but unfortunately that is not the case. My options are limited in this regard and that's why I looked at mqsibackup/restore for help.

Kind regards.
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Lone_Wanderer wrote:

We took over this environment after a different company and unfortunately, these scripts and the knowledge associated has been lost to time. I wouldn't consider this migration if I had these scripts, but unfortunately that is not the case. My options are limited in this regard and that's why I looked at mqsibackup/restore for help.

Kind regards.

Do you at least have the flows under source control?.
You can get the configurable services scripts to be built from the output of mqsireportproperties, but you'll need the bar files to deploy...
Lone_Wanderer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjb_saper wrote:
Lone_Wanderer wrote:

Kind regards.

Do you at least have the flows under source control?.
You can get the configurable services scripts to be built from the output of mqsireportproperties, but you'll need the bar files to deploy...

I do have the source code for the deployed flows, altough they are not versioned in any way. Another ,,gift" from the previous company.

So, you advise redeploy of the resources we have source for.
Getting configuration for configurable services via web admin/mqsireportproperties
Getting all other configurations (like odbc, ports, etc.) also with mqsireportproperties

Reconfiguring new integration node with extracted configurations, preferably using a script.

Is my assumption correct?

kind regards
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Lone_Wanderer wrote:

I do have the source code for the deployed flows, altough they are not versioned in any way. Another ,,gift" from the previous company.

So, you advise redeploy of the resources we have source for.
Getting configuration for configurable services via web admin/mqsireportproperties
Getting all other configurations (like odbc, ports, etc.) also with mqsireportproperties

Reconfiguring new integration node with extracted configurations, preferably using a script.

Is my assumption correct?
kind regards

Correct, however you will have to find the ODBC config in the odbc.ini or in the equivalent in Windows.
Make sure you set it up in a scripted repeatable way. And keep the scripts under source control as well... Have fun

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Migration of Integration Node to another OS
Jump to: