ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Doubt on 'StartMode'

Doubt on 'StartMode' « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
ghoshly
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Doubt on 'StartMode' Reply with quote

Partisan

Hello,

I am using IIB v10.0.0.10 on AIX.

I have a simple Application lets say App1 under which I have Flow 1, Flow 2, Flow 3. I have kept the StartMode as 'Maintained' (default value) for the application as well as the flows. Flow 1 feeds Flow 2, i.e. the output of Flow 1 is the input of Flow 2. When I first deploy the application, all flows are running. I stop the Flow 2 to check the output of Flow 1, make some code change in Flow 1, rebuild the bar file and re-deploy the complete application again. This time I am seeing the Flow 2 gets started again, though my expectation was to see it stopped (as it was before re-deployment) Its working more like 'Automatic' though I have not tested against Broker restart.

Please help me in rectifying my understanding, or the Product is not acting as it should?
abhi_thri
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knight

hi...I just tried the same at 10.0.0.7 level and the behavior is the same, i.e the flow gets started again even though it was stopped earlier and the mode is Maintained. Having said that the stopped state is maintained if you stop the whole application itself.

Interestingly it works as expected if the flow/Bar file is under an 'Integration Project', noticed this explanation at the infocenter,

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSMKHH_10.0.0/com.ibm.etools.mft.doc/bn23605_.htm

'The state of an application overrides the state of any message flows that it contains. For example, if an application is stopped, no flows in that application can run, even if they have been set to start automatically.'

So I guess it is working as expected, as the Application used Maintained state and as it was in running prior to the redeployment the flows got deployed as running (maintained the application state)
Esa
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

When the bar file is built, all flows and applications have start mode set to "Maintained". So if you stop a flow and reload the integration server, the flow won't start. But if you redeploy the application, everything is reset. Unless you override start modes in the bar file.
ghoshly
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Thanks All for the kind reply.

Definitely the StartMode of the application is overwriting the values set at the message flow level no matter what value you set at the flow level.

In that case, this property should be defined / termed as Application Level property unless the flow is part of individual integration project.

IMHO - Either the documentation is not correct, or the implementation.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » Doubt on 'StartMode'
Jump to: