ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages?

Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
krypton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? Reply with quote

Disciple

Hi, we want to set message expiry period at MQ Local Queue level but I could not find any such parameter.
Is there any such way where as an admin I can set message coming to a particular queue to expire at a specified interval.
I don't want to give the control/dependency to the application putting the messages.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

krypton wrote:
Hi, we want to set message expiry period at MQ Local Queue level but I could not find any such parameter...

Look harder...

krypton wrote:
..Is there any such way where as an admin I can set message coming to a particular queue to expire at a specified interval...

Yes, depending on MQ version...

krypton wrote:
...I don't want to give the control/dependency to the application putting the messages.

Why not? It's their data and you should not arbitrarily be expiring business messages.
krypton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
krypton wrote:
Hi, we want to set message expiry period at MQ Local Queue level but I could not find any such parameter...

Look harder...

Went through all the Queue parameters listed here, could not find.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_7.5.0/com.ibm.mq.ref.adm.doc/q085690_.htm

Please help if you know of such parameter.
krypton wrote:
..Is there any such way where as an admin I can set message coming to a particular queue to expire at a specified interval...

Yes, depending on MQ version...

We are using version -: 8.0.0.2 and the OS is LINUX.

krypton wrote:
...I don't want to give the control/dependency to the application putting the messages.

Why not? It's their data and you should not arbitrarily be expiring business messages.

They are reluctant to change their configuration/code and deploy again in production environment, so it is application team wish only that we control that parameter at MQ level.
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? Reply with quote

Jedi Council

krypton wrote:
...They are reluctant to change their configuration/code and deploy again in production environment, so it is application team wish only that we control that parameter at MQ level.

Get that 'business' requirement carved in stone, in triplicate, coped, and copied again, and archived in as many different places in the world that you can. That way, when the business comes for you because a very, very important message has been 'lost' because you've expired, maybe (just maybe) they'll not crucify you.
krypton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
krypton wrote:
...They are reluctant to change their configuration/code and deploy again in production environment, so it is application team wish only that we control that parameter at MQ level.

Get that 'business' requirement carved in stone, in triplicate, coped, and copied again, and archived in as many different places in the world that you can. That way, when the business comes for you because a very, very important message has been 'lost' because you've expired, maybe (just maybe) they'll not crucify you.

Done!
Well, if you can also share how to expire messages at MQ level, then this is something we will have in our knowledge base.
krypton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages? Reply with quote

Disciple

[quote="exerk"]
krypton wrote:

Look harder...

Hi Exerk, you were right to advise to look harder. I found a parameter at this link

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.ref.adm.doc/q085690_.htm

CAPEXPRY
krypton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

unfortunately the parameter didnt work.

Although we tried to change the Qlocal using MQSC command,and the mqsc returned a successful change message(AMQ8088) but the parameter didn't reflect. I was hoping all the NEW messages will be automatically deleted after 30 minutes, but that didn't happen.

ALTER QL(TINKER.TAILOR.SOLDER.QUEUE) CUSTOM('CAPEXPRY(18000)')
AMQ8008: WebSphere MQ queue changed.

could it be because this parameter is not compatible for the following version of MQ and Operating System?

Version: 8.0.0.2
O/S: Linux 2.6.32-754.2.1.el6.x86_64

krypton
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

looks like this parameter was implemented only in V8.0.0.4 and above.

CUSTOM ( string )
The custom attribute for new features.
[V8.0.0.4 Oct 2015]This attribute contains the values of attributes, as pairs of attribute name and value, separated by at least one space. The attribute name and value pairs have the form NAME(VALUE). Single quotation marks must be escaped with another single quotation mark.
CAPEXPRY ( integer )
The maximum time, expressed in tenths of a second, until a message put using an object handle with this object in the resolution path, becomes eligible for expiry processing.
For more information on message expiry processing, see Enforcing lower expiration times.

integer
The value must be in the range one through to 999 999 999.
NOLIMIT
There is no limit on the expiry time of messages put using this object. This is the default value.
Specifying a value for CAPEXPRY that is not valid, does not cause the command to fail. Instead the default value is used.
Note that existing messages in the queue, prior to a change in CAPEXPRY, are not affected by the change (that is, their expiry time remains intact). Only new messages that are put into the queue after the change in CAPEXPRY have the new expiry time.

zpat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

A very useful feature - well done the person who raised the RFE..
exerk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

krypton wrote:
...Note that existing messages in the queue, prior to a change in CAPEXPRY, are not affected by the change (that is, their expiry time remains intact). Only new messages that are put into the queue after the change in CAPEXPRY have the new expiry time.

Note the above.
k_usa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

zpat wrote:
A very useful feature - well done the person who raised the RFE..

Be careful with using this feature on cluster transmit queues. Someone at my place accidentally set this for XMIT queues also, which caused the cluster objects expire frequently. IBM L3 said they need to fix the MQ code to handle this issue
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
krypton wrote:
...Note that existing messages in the queue, prior to a change in CAPEXPRY, are not affected by the change (that is, their expiry time remains intact). Only new messages that are put into the queue after the change in CAPEXPRY have the new expiry time.

Note the above.

I have come across a different problem here, earlier I was using CAPEXPRY parameter to forcefully expire message of an application, now we have another application (which sends the request) which has message expiring in 30 mins and the application which processes the message from REQUEST Q is having a downtime.
So I have been asked to save those request messages from expiring. (The sending application has set the expire interval as 30 mins).
So I went ahead and changed the CAPEXPIRY to 10 hours(600 mins) but it is not reflected for new messages. What could be the reason?

ALTER QL(ABC.REQ.QUEUE) CUSTOM('CAPEXPRY(360000)')
exerk
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

The reason is that the expiry set on the messages is lower than that set on the queue, therefore the lower expiry time will be honoured. From the KC:

Quote:
...An expiry time specified in the Expiry field of the MQMD, by an application, which is greater than the CAPEXPRY value specified in the CUSTOM attribute on the queue or topic will be replaced by that CAPEXPRY value. An expiry time specified by an application, which is lower than the CAPEXPRY value, will be used...

All the information is there, should you care to read it.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

What expiry does the app specify in the MQMD? An expiry time specified by an application, which is lower than the CAPEXPRY value, the application value will be used. If object definitions (QRemote, QAlias, Topic) set the expiry, the lower value will be used.
vicks_mq
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

exerk wrote:
The reason is that the expiry set on the messages is lower than that set on the queue, therefore the lower expiry time will be honoured. From the KC:

Quote:
...An expiry time specified in the Expiry field of the MQMD, by an application, which is greater than the CAPEXPRY value specified in the CUSTOM attribute on the queue or topic will be replaced by that CAPEXPRY value. An expiry time specified by an application, which is lower than the CAPEXPRY value, will be used...

All the information is there, should you care to read it.

Thank you for providing this useful piece of information.
Our Application is specifying the time in MQMD.Expiry as 18000,
and I changed the CAPEXPIRY at queue level to 360000.
because the application value is lower so it will take that value.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » IBM MQ Installation/Configuration Support » Does Queue has parameter to specify expiry of messages?
Jump to: