ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Does IBM MQ offer stateful connections?

Does IBM MQ offer stateful connections? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Does IBM MQ offer stateful connections? Reply with quote

Centurion

Hello experts,

I was asked by someone if IBM MQ supports stateful connections and I didn't know the answer.

I know what stickiness/cookie/stateful connections in general, for example how web applications do that. But, couldn't understand what it meant in MQ world.
Appreciate if someone could explain what it is and if it is available/supported in IBM MQ.

Thanks
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

MQ connections and MQI messaging operations are not described as "stateful" in any of the MQ documentation. However, MQ operations are not completely atomic. MQ maintains internal information about the connection, objects that are open, and UOW transactions in progress. This is not exposed to the app (other than via object handles and object instances), so the app shouldn't need to use this to store, retrieve or persist any state information across multiple calls. Does that help?
MQMB&WAS
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centurion

gbaddeley wrote:
MQ connections and MQI messaging operations are not described as "stateful" in any of the MQ documentation. However, MQ operations are not completely atomic. MQ maintains internal information about the connection, objects that are open, and UOW transactions in progress. This is not exposed to the app (other than via object handles and object instances), so the app shouldn't need to use this to store, retrieve or persist any state information across multiple calls. Does that help?

thanks for the information, gbaddeley.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

MQ is not a transaction manager - it has limited capability (triggering) to instantiate work. An MQ queue manager can participate in UofW - an MQ app can be coordinator of a local UofW, but needs an XA-compliant transaction manager to coordinate global uofw’s that span multiple resource managers.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » Does IBM MQ offer stateful connections?
Jump to: