ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Cluster Workload Management Poser

MQ Cluster Workload Management Poser « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: MQ Cluster Workload Management Poser Reply with quote

Partisan

I have 3 queue managers named MQ1, MQ2, MQ3 and these 3 queue managers are hosted on 2 hosts named HOST1 and HOST 2 as follows.

MQ1, MQ2 hosted on HOST1
MQ3 hosted on HOST2

MQ1 on HOST1 serves as a gateway from a B2B partner to either MQ2 or MQ3 via MQ clustering. All three MQ systems participate in the same cluster.

MQ2 and MQ3 host a queue name QUEUE1 and both local instances are shared in the cluster.

MQ2 and MQ3 have CLWLUSEQ set to local.

Both QUEUE1 instances have CLWLUSEQ set to qmgr.
Both QUEUE1 instances are BIND NOT FIXED.
QUEUE1 @ MQ2 has CLWLRANK and CLWLPRTY set to 0
QUEUE1 @ MQ3 has CLWLRANK and CLWLPRTY set to 9

MQ2 and MQ3 are full repos'

The application only wants one route from the B2B partner to be viable at any given time. To do this, I made QUEUE1 @ MQ3 has CLWLRANK and CLWLPRTY set to 9 so if that queue manager is up, the data flows that way.

Now the application is writing an application that is to simulate the B2B partner. They are connecting that app to MQ2 and putting a message on QUEUE1 and the message is going to QUEUE1 @ MQ3 instead of MQ @ QM2 as I would expect.

To test on my own, I created an alias on QM2 named TEST. That alias resolves to QUEUE1.

Via MQ Explorer using TRACE ROUTE, I put 10 messages to the alias Q named TEST, and all ten messages went to QUEUE1 @ QM3 instead of QUEUE1 @ QM2.

Regarding my test, I expected all 10 messages to go to QUEUE1 @ QM2.

I read through the cluster workload management algorithm doc and it seems that what I expected should be what happens.

Am I missing something?
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Working as advertised - the messages are going to the higher priority queue.

From the KC: "...The CLWLPRTY queue attribute specifies the priority of local, remote, or alias queues for cluster workload distribution. The value must be in the range 0-9, where 0 is the lowest priority and 9 is the highest..."
belchman
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

But step three of the CWMA says this. So I am thinking it never interrogates priority or rank.

3. When choosing a queue, if the resulting set of queues contains the local instance of the queue, the local instance is typically used. The local instance of the queue is used if one of these three conditions are true:◦Either the use-queue attribute of the queue, CLWLUSEQ is set to LOCAL,
◦Or both the following statements are true:a. The use-queue attribute of the queue, CLWLUSEQ is set to QMGR.
b. The use-queue attribute of the queue manager, CLWLUSEQ is set to LOCAL.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_8.0.0/com.ibm.mq.ref.con.doc/q082390_.htm

◦Or the message is received over a cluster channel rather than by being put by a local application.

gbaddeley
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

Quote:
MQ1 on HOST1 serves as a gateway from a B2B partner to either MQ2 or MQ3 via MQ clustering.
Now the application is writing an application that is to simulate the B2B partner. They are connecting that app to MQ2

Shuldn't the simulator app be connecting to MQ1 ?
exerk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

belchman wrote:
But step three of the CWMA says this. So I am thinking it never interrogates priority or rank...

OK, weird. Notwithstanding gbaddeley's question, what happens when you repeat the test using amqsput and amqsputc ?
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

gbaddeley,

Not in this case. If the app connects to MQ1, all of the messages should flow to MQ3.

The app connecting to MQ2 directly should put to queues on MQ2.

What I did not tell you guys is that two separate WAS systems are servicing MQ2 and MQ3. MQ2 is DEV and MQ3 is QA. The external entity is to feed only QA unless they tell me to have them feed DEV.

So this app they are using, is to simulate the external entity to feed messages to DEV.

This challenge is a byproduct of the external entity only having 2 environments; prod and non-prod. So I have two clusters; prod and non-prod.
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

exerk,

I will find out and let you know.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

belchman wrote:
...What I did not tell you guys is that two separate WAS systems are servicing MQ2 and MQ3. MQ2 is DEV and MQ3 is QA. The external entity is to feed only QA unless they tell me to have them feed DEV...

...This challenge is a byproduct of the external entity only having 2 environments; prod and non-prod. So I have two clusters; prod and non-prod.

Are there separate CLUSSDR/CLUSRCVR channels for each cluster?
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

exerk,

I cannot easily test with amqsputc or amqsput because the app is going to get my messages before I can see where they are routed.

As to cluster sender/receiver pairs the answer will be yes. I do not have the prod cluster built yet but when I build it, it will have its own clusters channels.

However, remember, MQ1, MQ2, MQ3 in this problem are all in the same cluster.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Are you not able to route-test with the applications shut down, or the queues GET-disabled?
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Yes I can but I have to plan an outage with the app because they are running an active project and are testing.
exerk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Council

Create some like queues, that the application does not use (and has no knowledge of) and use those.
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

Brilliant. I will do that now.
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

using amqsput and amqsputc from HOST1 in which the default queue manager is QM2, I put 10 messages each. All 20 messages went to QM3.

I am thinking I must have something configured that is causing this but for the life of me I cannot think of what it could be.
belchman
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partisan

This is the local queue I created that is shared in the cluster

AMQ8409: Display Queue details.
QUEUE(EXERK) TYPE(QLOCAL)
ACCTQ(QMGR) ALTDATE(2018-08-03)
ALTTIME(08.36.29)
BOQNAME(FTB_MQ1.REQUEST.FROM.RTP_MQ1_BOQ)
BOTHRESH( CLUSNL( )
CLUSTER(RTP_CLUSTER) CLCHNAME( )
CLWLPRTY(0) CLWLRANK(0)
CLWLUSEQ(QMGR) CRDATE(2018-08-03)
CRTIME(08.36.29) CURDEPTH(0)
CUSTOM( ) DEFBIND(NOTFIXED)
DEFPRTY(0) DEFPSIST(NO)
DEFPRESP(SYNC) DEFREADA(NO)
DEFSOPT(SHARED) DEFTYPE(PREDEFINED)
DESCR( ) DISTL(NO)
GET(ENABLED) HARDENBO
IMGRCOVQ(QMGR) INITQ( )
IPPROCS(0) MAXDEPTH(5000)
MAXMSGL(104857600) MONQ(QMGR)
MSGDLVSQ(PRIORITY) NOTRIGGER
NPMCLASS(NORMAL) OPPROCS(0)
PROCESS( ) PUT(ENABLED)
PROPCTL(COMPAT) QDEPTHHI(80)
QDEPTHLO(20) QDPHIEV(DISABLED)
QDPLOEV(DISABLED) QDPMAXEV(ENABLED)
QSVCIEV(NONE) QSVCINT(999999999)
RETINTVL(999999999) SCOPE(QMGR)
SHARE STATQ(ON)
TRIGDATA( ) TRIGDPTH(1)
TRIGMPRI(0) TRIGTYPE(FIRST)
USAGE(NORMAL)

This is the alias I use to access the queue

AMQ8409: Display Queue details.
QUEUE(HERMAN_TEST) TYPE(QALIAS)
ALTDATE(2018-08-03) ALTTIME(08.38.25)
TARGET(EXERK) CLUSNL( )
CLUSTER( ) CLWLPRTY(0)
CLWLRANK(0) CUSTOM( )
DEFBIND(OPEN) DEFPRTY(0)
DEFPSIST(NO) DEFPRESP(SYNC)
DEFREADA(NO) DESCR( )
GET(ENABLED) PUT(ENABLED)
PROPCTL(COMPAT) SCOPE(QMGR)
TARGTYPE(QUEUE)

After posting this, I am going to try to put to EXERK without the alias.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Cluster Workload Management Poser
Jump to: