ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » adding active logs good for 3 days

adding active logs good for 3 days « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
migz0901
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: adding active logs good for 3 days Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hello Peeps,

I am planning to add active logs in our all queue managers that will hold 3 days worth of logging, the reason is we had TAPE problem last week and our logs archiving/offloading got problem. We archive our logs to TAPE.

We are running MQ V8 in compat mode under zOS 2.1.

Please advise for any points I need to consider before adding active logs
with 2500 CYL per log to hold 3 days worth of logging.

The most busy qmgr has 358 offloading per day.

I have the following values in place.

MAXARCH=500
Dual logging
LOGLOAD=500000

BSDS SIZE IS 15 TRKS

Many thanks,
Miguel
bruce2359
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Other than posrting here, what research have you done?

Have you downloaded and read the sysadmin documentation? Have you specifically read the section on calculating log size? Do you understand the meaning of LOGLOAD and the other log parameters?

Do you understand your applicatiin behaviors, such as: msg lengths, number of transactions per second/minute/hour?
migz0901
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Hi Brucse,

I have read the "Log data set definitions" with following topics
Use this topic to decide on the most appropriate configuration for your log data sets.

This topic contains information to help you answer the following questions:
Should your installation use single or dual logging?
How many active log data sets do you need?
How large should the active logs be?
Active log placement

Yup I understand the LODLOAD parameter,

LOGLOAD
Specifies the number of log records that IBM MQ MQ writes between the start of one checkpoint and the next. IBM MQ starts a new checkpoint after the number of records that you specify has been written.
Specify a value in the range 200 through 16 000 000.

The default is 500 000.

The greater the value, the better the performance of IBM MQ ; however, restart takes longer if the parameter is set to a large value.

Thanks for your reply.
bruce2359
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: adding active logs good for 3 days Reply with quote

Poobah

migz0901 wrote:

I have the following values in place.

MAXARCH=500
Dual logging
LOGLOAD=500000

BSDS SIZE IS 15 TRKS

I wasn't asking you to explain to me the meaning of LOGLOAD and the other CSQ4ZPRM values. Rather, I was asking how you decide on (calculate) these values. These values affect the size, shape and frequency, of your logs and their archives.

Please go to google, and search for 'how to calculate the size of your mq logs' or similar.
mvic
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: adding active logs good for 3 days Reply with quote

Jedi

(Deleted my post which referred to non-z/OS information)

Last edited by mvic on Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 am; edited 1 time in total
gbaddeley
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

I believe you can archive logs to DASD which is then eventually moved to tape.

If a qmgr restart needs to read archive logs it can take a while for the tapes to be mounted, even if your have an automated cartridge library system. This can cause long delays on qmgr startup.

Alternatively, make sure the operators always answer NO to the question about doing recovery checks (can't remember the question is, its been 5+ years since I worked on Z)
migz0901
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apprentice

Thank you for all your replies..

Can I add new active log while qmgr is running? we are in version 8 compat mode.

Can I only add active logs while qmgr is running if my bsds is version 2? and my qmgr is part of qsg?

In console can I issue this command to add new active log in active qmgr?

DEFINE LOG (name) copy(1) ...

Many thanks in advance,
Miguel
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

migz0901 wrote:
Thank you for all your replies..

Can I add new active log while qmgr is running? we are in version 8 compat mode.

Can I only add active logs while qmgr is running if my bsds is version 2? and my qmgr is part of qsg?

In console can I issue this command to add new active log in active qmgr?

DEFINE LOG (name) copy(1) ...

Many thanks in advance,
Miguel

Other than posting here, what research have you done? What were the results?

What have you tried (in test environment)? What were the results?

What happened when you searched Google for 'Can I add new active log while qmgr is running?'
bruce2359
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Where is your more experienced z/OS MQ system programmer to help you with this? If you need training, IBM offers both basic (WM302) system admin training course, and an advanced system admin course for MQ for z/OS with hands-on QSG lab exercises (WM312, if memory serves).

All of what you are asking is well documented in the IBM-official system admin and installation publications, easily found in IBM's KC.

More importantly, with your seeming little experience with the product, do you intend to take advice from compete strangers who have absolutely no responsibility for the outcome?
MainframeMatt1978
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Miguel,

I also encountered a very similar issue in our environment on 2/15/18 where we had TAPE problems and could not mount tapes in our VTL across the board. This caused our main production Queue manager to "stall" after all active logs were used. Our queue manager is highly important to the criticality of our business. We are running MQ V8 in COMPAT mode under z/OS 2.1 We use dual bsds, dual logging, MAXARCH=1000, LOGLOAD=2,500,000, and had only 8 defined active logs per logcopy at the time of our outage.

Since the outage, I dynamically added 23 more logs per logcopy to the running queue manager which gave us a total of 31 logs per logcopy. This is the MAX you can have in MQ v8 running in COMPAT mode. Once you move to NEWFUNC mode you can have up to 310 active logs defined per logcopy.

Adding logs to a running queue manager is rather easy. Looks like you have the command already. My only advice would be to make sure you issue the DEFINE LOG commands during a slow time and right after a clean log flip and that you have no outstanding replies to your queue manager.

Because of our outage on 2/15, my management has now tasked me with moving offloading to DASD. This change will require me to move to NEWFUNC mode, new BSDS's V2 for 8 byte RBA's, and have 310 active logs (which will give us approx 50 hours of logging time).

I would suggest a migration approach for you that is similar. If 31 logs isn't enough for you, you will need to incur an outage to move to NEWFUNC mode and I highly suggest you move to V2 BSDS's at that point to utilize 8 byte RBA. If you have any more questions, happy to help!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » Mainframe, CICS, TXSeries » adding active logs good for 3 days
Jump to: