ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » ACE - App Connect Enterprise

ACE - App Connect Enterprise « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
mca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: ACE - App Connect Enterprise Reply with quote

Disciple

IBM just released this new version of IIB, renaming the product as ACE v11. The dependency of MQ which was eliminated in IIB v10 is brought back with ACE v11.

What might be the reasoning behind returning to the dependence on MQ? We are looking into upgrading to IIB v10, but might hold off after reviewing the MQ dependency.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: ACE - App Connect Enterprise Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mca wrote:
IBM just released this new version of IIB, renaming the product as ACE v11. The dependency of MQ which was eliminated in IIB v10 is brought back with ACE v11.

What might be the reasoning behind returning to the dependence on MQ? We are looking into upgrading to IIB v10, but might hold off after reviewing the MQ dependency.

AFAIC there is the same dependency to MQ in IIB10 that there is in ACE11
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: ACE - App Connect Enterprise Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mca wrote:
The dependency of MQ which was eliminated in IIB v10 is brought back with ACE v11.

Post a link.
mca
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

We do not have any documentation to prove this, but just got off the call with our IBM support and they mentioned this to be substantial change along with being cloud based.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vitor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

mca wrote:
We do not have any documentation to prove this, but just got off the call with our IBM support and they mentioned this to be substantial change along with being cloud based.

Okay, let's deconstruct this.

App Connect Enterprise is the on-prem offering, based on IIB. Plain App Connect is the cloud offering. The cloud offering does have restrictions (most enforced by the hosting environment) and I'd still be surprised to discover they've built the requirement to MQ in, given the problems of cloud based software having dependencies.

App Connect (rather than App Connect Enterprise) isn't and never has been based on the IIB code base. It's a new product designed for cloud use. I will not speculate or comment publically on why I think IIB was pulled into the brand.

I've not seen any revision to the Statement Of Direction that talks about IIB (as was) having all it's external dependencies removed and it becoming a stand alone product.

IBM Support are in no position (and I think are forbidden) from commenting on future direction. I don't know who "IBM Support" are in this context, but if they're not your account manager quoting directly from someone like Ben Thompson they're speculating.

If you're concerned, join the beta program.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

Vitor wrote:
I will not speculate or comment publically on why I think IIB was pulled into the brand.

Its been a couple of years since the product had its name changed. MQSI/WMQI/WB-IMB/WMB/IIB/ACE must not keep the same name for any length of time - its an unwritten rule.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

PeterPotkay wrote:
Vitor wrote:
I will not speculate or comment publically on why I think IIB was pulled into the brand.

Its been a couple of years since the product had its name changed. MQSI/WMQI/WB-IMB/WMB/IIB/ACE must not keep the same name for any length of time - its an unwritten rule.

Yeah, and that was done for good solid technical reasons.
souciance
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Is it actually available to test as a developer edition? I mean now ACE 11.
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

souciance wrote:

I've not heard that it is. Given that it's pitched as much at the "shadow IT" of business users as it is at the existing IIB base, having a "developer" edition might be sending the wrong signal.

It's all drag & drop APIs anyway....
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

souciance wrote:

The "real" product is on Passport Advantage now.
souciance
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

I downloaded the developer edition and tried it now.

The biggest change is in the deployment and adminstration part.

In my view the newer deployment model with the mqsibar command is new for the IBM stack, there are no integration nodes and you use yaml file to do your config, but this functionality already existed in for instance Apache Karaf. It would have been nice with something that would have taken it to the next level.

I would have liked a test framework which doesn't require a runtime to be of any use, or better integration with third-party tools.

I remember reading somewhere that the bar file is all you should need and would contain the integration server as well. That's not how it works in the developer edition.

Rest is pretty much same is IIB.
Vitor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

souciance wrote:

Link?

souciance wrote:
It would have been nice with something that would have taken it to the next level.

I would have liked a test framework which doesn't require a runtime to be of any use, or better integration with third-party tools.

I look forward to your RFEs
timber
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Master

Quote:
I would have liked a test framework which doesn't require a runtime to be of any use
Interesting thought...what exactly did you have in mind? The problem with testing integration apps is that there are usually quite a few external dependencies that need to be simulated/mocked.
Are you hoping for something like Rational Integration Tester (a.k.a. GreenHat) to be included in the ACE bundle?
souciance
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Vitor wrote:
souciance wrote:

Link?

souciance wrote:
It would have been nice with something that would have taken it to the next level.

I look forward to your RFEs

Here is the link..
https://www-01.ibm.com/marketing/iwm/iwm/web/pick.do?source=swg-wmbfd

You can find the documentation for ACE as well.

Well, similar to documentation, I wouldn't think a built-in test framework is something that requires an RFE. In essence, something similar to JUNIT in the Java world.

Well, here is the link to be RFE. Feel free to vote for it.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=119156
souciance
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

timber wrote:
Quote:
I would have liked a test framework which doesn't require a runtime to be of any use
Interesting thought...what exactly did you have in mind? The problem with testing integration apps is that there are usually quite a few external dependencies that need to be simulated/mocked.
Are you hoping for something like Rational Integration Tester (a.k.a. GreenHat) to be included in the ACE bundle?

Well I was thinking of JUNIT in the java world or similar in C# and other languages.

Essentially I would like to:
1) Write my tests first
2) Run them and see them fail
3) Add code and see them go green
4) Refactor and repeat
5) Have the ability to mock away third party dependencies like MQ, database etc
6) Inject data/code/messages/headers in your tests
7) Have tests be part of your CI/CD process.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » ACE - App Connect Enterprise
Jump to: