ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Server-Server compatibility - 9.0.0.3 and 6.0.2.2

MQ Server-Server compatibility - 9.0.0.3 and 6.0.2.2 « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
gavze007
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: MQ Server-Server compatibility - 9.0.0.3 and 6.0.2.2 Reply with quote

Novice

Hi,

We're planning to upgrade our MQ servers from 7.5.0.3 to 9.0.0.3.

One of our clients asks if he can still use MQ 6.0.2.2 QMGR to connect to our QMGR on 9.0.0.3.

Is it supported? Should it work?

Thanks
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

MQ 7.x, MQ 8.0 and MQ 9.0 compatibility with previous versions
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21312967
gavze007
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply.

I saw this article earlier, but I wasn't sure if is conclusive, as they state the QMGRs can interact with Clients on older version and vice-versa

"WebSphere MQ V7.0, V7.1, V7.5, V8.0 and V9.0 queue managers and clients inter operate with queue managers and clients from any previous level of the WebSphere MQ or MQSeries products."

Do you think it means it's okay also when both sides are running MQ server?

Thanks
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

gavze007 wrote:

I think the more important point is that the 6.0.2.2 queue manager is so massively old and out of support that even if it operates it won't support things you need like SSL cyphers that can't be broken by teenagers, or any function of a more modern queue manager.

Your client needs to accept that they're holding a significant business risk running a queue manager that IBM does not support, that they were taking that risk connecting to your 7.5 queue manager and that the risk has significantly increased. Most importantly, the risk is on their side not your.

My 2 cents: I believe the line you quoted only refers to supported levels of software. Clients back to 6.n are supported, queue manager software is supported from 7.5 onwards (for another month!)
gavze007
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novice

Hi Vitor,

I'm aware of the the EOL date for MQ 7.5, and that's why we're in the process of upgrading it to 9.0.0.3.

The client is aware he's using an old and unsupported version, using an old SSL cipher on the channels between us.

What I mean is not technical support by IBM but if it will work.
Will we succeed to start channels and transfer messages between MQ server 9 to MQ server 6. I didn't find any official answer to this question...
Vitor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

gavze007 wrote:
Will we succeed to start channels and transfer messages between MQ server 9 to MQ server 6.

If you try it and it works, then it works. It if continues to work, well yay.

gavze007 wrote:
I didn't find any official answer to this question...

Because officially no queue manager prior to 7.5 exists - that's what "out of support" means. IBM will not comment officially because they don't test compatibility with out of support versions, so they don't know.

So in your case they will have tested a 6.n queue manager with a 7.5 queue manager (because when 7.5 came out, 6.n was still in support) so provided you've made no significant architectural changes (e.g. patched the OS) then you're still good. They will not have tested 9.n with 6.n so you're out on your own.

That's what I meant about the client accepting risk. Even if the channels start and it works, the next fix pack for v9 might change that. For example (and I'm speculating with an abstract example here, not predicting anything) they might deliberately or inadvertently remove support for the obsolete SSL cypher your client is using. This means that your client will have to accept the risk of upgrading multiple versions, or accept the risk of using unencrypted channels.
PeterPotkay
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah

gavze007 wrote:
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply.

I saw this article earlier, but I wasn't sure if is conclusive, as they state the QMGRs can interact with Clients on older version and vice-versa

"WebSphere MQ V7.0, V7.1, V7.5, V8.0 and V9.0 queue managers and clients inter operate with queue managers and clients from any previous level of the WebSphere MQ or MQSeries products."

Thanks

"MQSeries" was the name only at version 5.3 and earlier.
My inner Matlock reads that sentence and says, yeah, they are saying the MQ 9 queue manager can "inter operate" with an MQSeries queue manager, any previous level. Even MQSeries version 5.3 (or older!) is "any previous level."

I am not Matlock and this is not a legal discussion.
mvic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi

gavze007 wrote:
What I mean is not technical support by IBM but if it will work.
Will we succeed to start channels and transfer messages between MQ server 9 to MQ server 6. I didn't find any official answer to this question...

Probably no-one here knows if it will work.
If you try it, you will then be the one person here who knows, and then you can tell us
But if it doesn't work, the answer will be to upgrade the v6 code to something that has actually been tested with the v9 code.

MQSeries.net Forum Index » General IBM MQ Support » MQ Server-Server compatibility - 9.0.0.3 and 6.0.2.2
Jump to: