ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » LOG4J2 used for IIB logging

LOG4J2 used for IIB logging « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
KIT_INC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: LOG4J2 used for IIB logging Reply with quote

Knight

I have seen couple of comments on Log4j in this forum
Quote:
Best practice says use java.util.logging and not log4j ,
Log4j and Broker should be consigned to the trashcan

Our developers are proposing to do message and error logging using Log4j2. The new message flow can have multi-instances , they claim that the new Log4j2 with Asynchronous logger or Appender can greatly reduce the logging latency. Can the Asynchronous logger assure no loss of data ?

If Log4j2 is not the right way to go, I need some documentation to support my argument. Can some one point me to the best practice document that says "use java.util.logging and not log4j " Also any discussion on using the Asynchronous logger or Appender with IIB V10 on Linux or AIX.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

IMHO those comments were specific to log4j rather than log4j2, which is a whole new ball game,to the point there's limited backwards compatibility:

Quote:
The API for Log4j 2 is not compatible with Log4j 1.x, however an adapter is available to allow applications to continue to use the Log4j 1.x API
(https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/)

If, as with all new major releases, this is now better/faster/glossier/smarter then maybe it's time to review. As a totally non-Java person, I was struck by this:

Quote:
The JDK Logging Adapter is a custom implementation of java.util.logging.LogManager that uses Log4j
(https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.0/log4j-jul/index.html)

So maybe the "this one or that one" discussion is now moot.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

I also thought this was interesting.
souciance
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

By the way, we used the IBM support back for log4j loggning i.e. the log4j node. Be very careful how you set that up. My advice is to have one brokerlog.xml per execution group. Otherwise you end up in messy file locks and the rolling file appender will not function correctly.
Vitor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

souciance wrote:
By the way, we used the IBM support back for log4j loggning i.e. the log4j node. Be very careful how you set that up. My advice is to have one brokerlog.xml per execution group. Otherwise you end up in messy file locks and the rolling file appender will not function correctly.

They talk about that on the Apache site - how log44j sucked in a multi-threaded environment but log4j2 does better Java thread stuff.

Behold my awesome grasp of Java, complemented by my awesome ability to parrot things I've read on a web site!
souciance
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disciple

Vitor wrote:
souciance wrote:

They talk about that on the Apache site - how log44j sucked in a multi-threaded environment but log4j2 does better Java thread stuff.

Behold my awesome grasp of Java, complemented by my awesome ability to parrot things I've read on a web site!

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » LOG4J2 used for IIB logging
Jump to: