ASG
IBM
Zystems
Cressida
Icon
Netflexity

MQSeries.net
Search  Search       Tech Exchange      Education      Certifications      Library      Info Center      SupportPacs      LinkedIn  Search  Search                                                                   FAQ  FAQ   Usergroups  Usergroups

Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

RSS Feed - WebSphere MQ Support RSS Feed - Message Broker Support

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB 10 Mapping Node - pivot / denormalize?

IIB 10 Mapping Node - pivot / denormalize? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
daffy99
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: IIB 10 Mapping Node - pivot / denormalize? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I am struggling to use the IIB 10 Mapping Node to pivot / denormalize a list of tree elements.

My inbound set of elements is flat
* key1
* value1
* key2
* value2
* key3
* value3
where any key* or value* may be null, indicating no data present.

The output tree is expected to be a complex type, following the pattern
<mylistentry>
<key/>
<value/>
</mylistentry>

I have identified the Append transform (and read the current docs) as the go-to candidate. I fully understand the nice (simple) use case as given in the docs, but am unable to move forward in solving the following two distinct problems:

a) I am trying to denormalize a group of elements - (key*, value*); pushing both key and value into Append produces the wrong *arity, and I seem to be unable to use a Join transform to logically group (key, value) before they go into Append.

b) I am unable to construct a context-sensitive filter ("Condition") for the Append - in an ideal world I'd simply but "self::text() != 'mynullvalue'" in there, but I do not seem to have the right self, and current() appears to be forbidden. Is there anything within Condition which I can use to get hold of the _current_ node (out of key1, key2, key3)?

I'd really appreciate pointers on how to address these challenges within the Mapping node!

FWIW, outside of the mapping node, I *could" use pre-processing of input using ESQL (post-processing would not be a good idea because of the NULL values in there and correlation challenges).
fjb_saper
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand High Poobah

Seems to me that using an ESQL procedure for that would be the fastest way to deal with the situation. If you already have one, I would not bother trying to solve this using a map. Maps are great, but not every transformation is solvable by a map.
On the other hand if your inbound structure is not XML, may be redefining your DFDL parsing structure might be a better bet...
daffy99
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fjb_saper wrote:
Seems to me that using an ESQL procedure for that would be the fastest way to deal with the situation.

I agree. The (intellectual, yet real) challenge was the map though

fjb_saper wrote:
On the other hand if your inbound structure is not XML, may be redefining your DFDL parsing structure might be a better bet...

Even better - a colleague immediately recognized that the DFDL is already in a suitable shape, because of it being DFDL and thus being a rooted tree by nature!

I simply had not realized that

* key1
* value1
* key2
* value2
* key3
* value3

all share the same root (which in my case is not exactly the DFDL root, but that's irrelevant). So for a map simply understand that the problem to solve mutates into

* root
** key1
** value1
** key2
** value2
** key3
** value3

And, suddenly, the "root" element logically groups.

Net effect: Three separate primary connections (three groups) from root into an Append transform. This then exposes three Local Transforms, each of which can have the right Condition expression to produce output.

Life can get so easy once you step out of the box...

MQSeries.net Forum Index » WebSphere Message Broker (ACE) Support » IIB 10 Mapping Node - pivot / denormalize?
Jump to: